Awning Gallery And Poll

Which Awning do you have

• Total voters
Last edited:
Vango Cove Low Drive Away Awning

Bought brand new last month and used for 2 nights - easy to put up etc and great to have a porch / canopy / covered area on the front - and good that the front faces the same direction as the van. We’ve realised we’re unlikely to use it much though so am going to sell it on!

30D90573-9B25-4C0D-AA3E-AC789966A480.jpeg

Vango Cove Low Drive Away Awning

Bought brand new last month and used for 2 nights - easy to put up etc and great to have a porch / canopy / covered area on the front - and good that the front faces the same direction as the van. We’ve realised we’re unlikely to use it much though so am going to sell it on!

View attachment 80717
As a matter of interest what will you use instead, if anything....the one or two night stops don't seem to justify a full awning even when they are easy to pitch. In most instances just a sun canopy / tarp seems to be the answer for us although our Vango Palm has proved very useful.

As a matter of interest what will you use instead, if anything....the one or two night stops don't seem to justify a full awning even when they are easy to pitch. In most instances just a sun canopy / tarp seems to be the answer for us although our Vango Palm has proved very useful.
Thinking a sun canopy thing instead, will get more use out of it and we already have an awning sized tent anyway so will just use that for longer stays.

Thinking a sun canopy thing instead, will get more use out of it and we already have an awning sized tent anyway so will just use that for longer stays.
We have the Debus Funky Leisure one in poly cotton and another in the regular nylon. You can buy just the canopies without the poles if preferred, in a huge range of colours. Also a Khyam Sun Canopy which has detachable front and sides but we have never actually used that one. The Debus (made by Vango) can be pitched a few ways which makes it quite versatile and the poly cotton version is lovely. We also have a toilet/utility tent if the need for it arises depending on the site amenities etc.

Kampa Touring Air VW
- only been up in the garden so far, first trip with it in a couple of weeks to fully test it out. First thoughts, its huge, it weighs a ton in the bag, has the sleeping pod with two double bedrooms included. First attempt took me 20 mins to put up by myself, reckon I can get it down to 15 after a few more goes. Wanted something big enough for the kids (2 toddlers) to run around in for now and sleep in when they're a bit older - it's definitely ticked that box. Will hopefully last us many years! Also have the carpet, footprint, and vestibule door as well - not attached here. Only issue so far is getting it back in the bag - took a few attempts but finally managed to get it back in the bag with pump as well, but still no where near as small as when i got it out! Anyone have any tips?!

IMG_6336.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the Debus Funky Leisure one in poly cotton and another in the regular nylon. You can buy just the canopies without the poles if preferred, in a huge range of colours. Also a Khyam Sun Canopy which has detachable front and sides but we have never actually used that one. The Debus (made by Vango) can be pitched a few ways which makes it quite versatile and the poly cotton version is lovely. We also have a toilet/utility tent if the need for it arises depending on the site amenities etc.

I’ve got the Debus one as well, it is great. We have used it in France for 2 weeks and general beach trips in the UK, it is so easy to put up and take down. It provides a really good amount of shade coming out 3 metres from the van. The only negative comment is that there are eyelets for 2 more king poles to support the canopy but they are not supplied. I have just bought another 2 king poles which helps massively to keep the awning steady when it is windy.

I poped our Stitches and Steel Bawdsey last Friday in the heat as well. What is needed(invention) is a plug-in pressure relief valve that you put in place of the pipe after inflating.
I have a spare pipe end just need to find a 5psi relief valve.

I just remembered I have a set of adjustable tyre deflators (for desert driving) that will do the job.

Just ordered one of theses and will fit my tyre deflator to it to regulate the pressure.
View attachment 80279
The valve on the air frame usually has a one way element to it, often a piece of thin rubber on the inside of the inlet which will stop air returning to your relief valve. Are you just planning on removing that rubber from the inlet valve.

Kampa Touring Air VW
- only been up in the garden so far, first trip with it in a couple of weeks to fully test it out. First thoughts, its huge, it weighs a ton in the bag, has the sleeping pod with two double bedrooms included. First attempt took me 20 mins to put up by myself, reckon I can get it down to 15 after a few more goes. Wanted something big enough for the kids (2 toddlers) to run around in for now and sleep in when they're a bit older - it's definitely ticked that box. Will hopefully last us many years! Also have the carpet, footprint, and vestibule door as well - not attached here. Only issue so far is getting it back in the bag - took a few attempts but finally managed to get it back in the bag with pump as well, but still no where near as small as when i got it out! Anyone have any tips?!

View attachment 81029
d4danny, I bought a Vango Galli which looks about the same size, so I know what you mean about getting it back in the bag, it's a 2 person job for sure but we seem to have it nailed.
1. Use the deflate side of the pump to suck out the last dregs of air
2. We make 2 equal folds from each end of the awning and then 1 final fold where one half of the awning is laid on top of the other half, then comes the fun!
3. Starting at one end of the sausage lay down on top of the awning and roll like a 3 year old to the other end of the sausage, repeat.
4. This flattens our awning out sufficiently to start rolling, roll as tight as you can and don't be tempted to let go at the end.
5. When fully rolled, get your helper to slip the bag on one end of your sausage (ooer), whilst you keep the sausage nice and tight.
6. Otch the bag on until there is no fear of it unravelling and then with your helper pull the bag over the remaining few inches.

The main thing is don't worry about looking a bit of a T*at when your doing it.

d4danny, I bought a Vango Galli which looks about the same size, so I know what you mean about getting it back in the bag, it's a 2 person job for sure but we seem to have it nailed.
1. Use the deflate side of the pump to suck out the last dregs of air
2. We make 2 equal folds from each end of the awning and then 1 final fold where one half of the awning is laid on top of the other half, then comes the fun!
3. Starting at one end of the sausage lay down on top of the awning and roll like a 3 year old to the other end of the sausage, repeat.
4. This flattens our awning out sufficiently to start rolling, roll as tight as you can and don't be tempted to let go at the end.
5. When fully rolled, get your helper to slip the bag on one end of your sausage (ooer), whilst you keep the sausage nice and tight.
6. Otch the bag on until there is no fear of it unravelling and then with your helper pull the bag over the remaining few inches.

The main thing is don't worry about looking a bit of a T*at when your doing it.

Thanks will give it a go that way - looking a bit of a t*at is a regular occurrence for me so not an issue ;) Are your folds in step 2 in line with the tubes so they're not being folded or across the tubes so they're folded up?

The valve on the air frame usually has a one way element to it, often a piece of thin rubber on the inside of the inlet which will stop air returning to your relief valve. Are you just planning on removing that rubber from the inlet valve.
no, when you insert the adapter it pushes back that valve and seals itself.

Thanks will give it a go that way - looking a bit of a t*at is a regular occurrence for me so not an issue ;) Are your folds in step 2 in line with the tubes so they're not being folded or across the tubes so they're folded up?
My folds are in line with the poles. Good Luck.

Just in case this is of help to anyone....had an overnight stop yesterday, overlooking Cambridgeshire on a very windy day and night....pitched the Debus polycotton awning/canopy in "half mode" with a modified ridge bar to support the mid section. It all held up well in even with strong gusts and made a useful shelter for sitting, cooking etc with some protection. We also added a poled windbreak at one end for a bit more privacy.

debus awning half1.jpg

debus half2.jpg

B9C68F39-D01C-4219-91EC-5CDD5D37AC0B.JPGIMG_0775.jpg
Rubbish photos, but I put this up in the dark on arrival and it was pretty quick and stress free - right beside the river!
Plenty of room for 2 of us but I didn't quite get it pegged completely under the van but during the one torrential downpour we did have we all stayed dry.
I had only set it up once before in the garden without the van so very pleased with ease of use.
Has anyone else cut down their attachments (bits between awning and rail on the van) so they are the same length as the van?

Looking forward to a September trip now but not sure if it was tipping with rain a pop up to chuck all the gear in from the van when we arrived might not be a good buy?

View attachment 82674View attachment 82675
Rubbish photos, but I put this up in the dark on arrival and it was pretty quick and stress free - right beside the river!
Plenty of room for 2 of us but I didn't quite get it pegged completely under the van but during the one torrential downpour we did have we all stayed dry.
I had only set it up once before in the garden without the van so very pleased with ease of use.
Has anyone else cut down their attachments (bits between awning and rail on the van) so they are the same length as the van?

Looking forward to a September trip now but not sure if it was tipping with rain a pop up to chuck all the gear in from the van when we arrived might not be a good buy?
do you mean the plastic double c of the driveaway kit? If so, we just used a cheap saw to cut one piece to length so it had no overhang. The kadar strip, actual fabric piece with the thin wire in, we are going to cut down to length also (it's a 3mm strip and ours is a 2.6m attachment)

Vango palm low (air) £400
We are on our 3rd awning in 3 weeks :oops:. Olpro loopo was too big, so we sold it , bought a Kampa Dometic Trip Air and we liked....but the driveaway area ripped off almost completely near the beading so had to return. We now have this one....really love it but.....we wish it had a sewn in groundsheet, its perfect otherwide, but some rain water came in through gaps. Not buying a 4th though. Well not until next year! This is already costing a fortune!

20200826_182938.jpg

Back