Awning coming off awning rail!

racT6bus

VIP Member
T6 Pro
On my third awning now, after the first one was too big, the second was mis-sold (it was missing a door!) and finally landed on the Vango Cove 2 Air Low. The Cove is great, but when staying in the Gower last week it was extremely windy and the awning kept coming off the awning rail (using the 6mm kador to 6mm Vango kit) to the point I had to take it down in the middle of the night for fear of it getting damaged!!

Has anyone else had an issue with their awning actually coming off the side of their camper? I had camped with both the other awnings in pretty poor weather and they were fine.

what rail have you got?

got some pics?

rails can be 6,7,8mm etc

so what strip have you got and what drive away kit?

No pics sadly, was in the middle of the night. Using the Stitches and Steel raised awning rail (6mm) and Vango AirBeam Awning Drive-Away Kit - 6mm to 6mm. The whole lot was just gradually sliding out of the rail. I was woken at about 1am as half of it was slapping against the side of the van!!

more here:

We have this issue sometime when the awning isn’t aligned properly, realigning and re pegging has fixed this issue so haven’t needed any stops yet.

Or if you have no intention of actually driving away from your awning then attach it directly to your rail and do away with the kit.

If the awning is pulling out of the rail you can use a connector that has 2 beads on one side and a single on the other.
the double once slides into the van rail and the singe is used for the figure 8.

like this, Kampa Twin Drive Away Awning Kit 6mm/4mm to 6mm - 3 Metre
Thanks @Loz sorry do you mean that you push both the 4mm and 6mm beads into the rail on your van so it's less likely to move? I have the Vango 6mm to 6mm kit already but this slips - Driveaway Kit for 6mm & 6mm Rails 3m Set

Last edited:
Thanks @Loz sorry do you mean that you push both the 4mm and 6mm beads into the rail on your van so it's less likely to move? I have the Vango 6mm to 6mm kit already but this slips - Driveaway Kit for 6mm & 6mm Rails 3m Set
Yes, the Cali has the large VW rails on the side and you need both the 6 and 4 slid in to stop them from pulling out in strong wind, not sliding out the end but pulling away from the van and detaching.

Helpful thread this. I’m planning to use stoppers on the actual awning rail. That figure of 8 lock looks good but not sure about a lump of metal flapping about on the side of the van. Anyone managed to rig maybe some cable ties or some sort of tie on the end of the figure of 8 and kador, to stop them sliding?

I had similar with my Cove at a windy Folly Farm a week or so ago, the drive away kit figure of 8 kept sliding off the end (I forgot the stoppers I have). Tried another Vango awning I have (canopy) directly into the strip on the wind out awning and it’s a much tighter fit so I’ll be dispensing with the driveaway kit now.

Does anybody know if this size will fit Fiama F45 channel.? The dimension stated the Fiama channel is 4mm, but some are saying the inside diameter is 6mm and just the front opening is 4mm. Cheers.

Does anyone know if these will fit inside the Fiama F45 channel? The diameter of channel is stated as 4mm on Fiama, but some are saying that 6mm will fit inside.
@VanDamMan put us onto these:

c channel awning rail stopper - screwed into the crail at each end to stop any sliding?

View attachment 198466
Does anyone know if these will fit inside the Fiama F45s?. .The dimension stated for Fiama channel is 4mm, but some are saying that 6mm will fit inside...I am a bit confused...(not really unusal for me )

Back