Auxiliary Heater - How Long Until Those That Converted, Get A Remote?

Spookybear

Sold up
T6 Pro
Hey gang,

Just wondered for those who have converted their wet diesel heater to remote, do you use it for overnight parking. TBH, I can't see it being any good overnight as it will have too much draw, what with running the oem climate heater controls, coolant pump etc etc.

Just wondered if anyone had been brave enough to try & managed to start the van next day :) I'm just toying with a bit of heat for the occasional overnight use, bike races etc

Cheerio, me!

If you have hookup and charger you should be fine.
However, if you think you'll will be doing this a lot, why not add another aux heater powered from the leisure battery?

Hi Loz,

Going to be purely occasional use, & yes that was the question really to see if the remote would be worth it or grab a separate heater on a leisure battery installation, from what I have read the hard work is done with having the pre-heater, can just tap into the fuel line so no need to drop the tank. Elvis lives in a garage so no need for cold morning heat. Hook-up, erm nope, wont be going that route, at least not yet :)

If you have hookup and charger you should be fine.
However, if you think you'll will be doing this a lot, why not add another aux heater powered from the leisure battery?

I looked at going down this route too. Have read mixed reports on how long the heater would run for before it turns off. Longest claim was two hours, which would make it unsuitable as an overnight heater for winter time. Maybe @mmi or @carlg could clarify if this is correct though. Ended up going for a stand alone Webasto Airtop instead.

As OEM installation the max is 2 hours either from remote or timer. Unfortunately the timer allows only one active timing, so can't even trick it putting a few in a row.

There are two adaptation channels which are probably related:
IDE07160-MAS04357 Control module switch off time 1, which shows on mine 140 mins.​
IDE07160-MAS04358 Control module switch off time 2, which shows on mine 20 mins.​
I have tried to change those but the unit didn't allow that - it accepted the security code but still ended with an error.

As OEM installation at full power it draws about 12 Amps (measured) from starter battery in addition to about 5 Amps (by spec, not measured) from the leisure battery. This in the configuration which heats up both engine and cabin.
EDIT: It's total of 12 Amps - of which approx. 6 Amps drawn by cabin heater blower.

Last edited:
2 hrs, that would possibly be OK but as the timer is a one time deal that's not a lot of use.

12A is way too much to run for any length of time, wouldn't be happy at that. Leisure battery & separate heater is looking like the thing then me thinks :)

Cheers for your reply mister, appreciate it

As OEM installation the max is 2 hours either from remote or timer. Unfortunately the timer allows only one active timing, so can't even trick it putting a few in a row.

IDE07160-MAS04357 Control module switch off time 1, which shows on mine 140 mins.
IDE07160-MAS04358 Control module switch off time 2, which shows on mine 20 mins.​
I have tried to change those but the unit didn't allow that - it accepted the security code but still ended with an error.

As OEM installation at full power it draws about 12 Amps (measured) from starter battery in addition to about 5 Amps (by spec, not measured) from the leisure battery. This in the configuration which heats up both engine and cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mmi

IDE07160-MAS04357 Control module switch off time 1, which shows on mine 140 mins.​

EDIT: It's total of 12 Amps - of which approx. 6 Amps drawn by cabin heater blower.

Pls, did you resolve time settings in these channels?
IDE07160-MAS04357 Control module switch off time 1, which shows on mine 140 mins.
IDE07160-MAS04358 Control module switch off time 2, which shows on mine 20 mins.
I want to change time of running and even if security codes are accepted, I can save adaptation, but error:Need security access

Many thx for info. Daniel

Pls, did you resolve time settings in these channels?
IDE07160-MAS04358 Control module switch off time 2, which shows on mine 20 mins.
I want to change time of running and even if security codes are accepted, I can save adaptation, but error:Need security access

Many thx for info. Daniel
No, I haven't done anything with these channels since that post. However, since posting that there has been numerous updates on the tweaking tools so I'll check again - stay tuned :thumbsup:

No, I haven't done anything with these channels since that post. However, since posting that there has been numerous updates on the tweaking tools so I'll check again - stay tuned :thumbsup:
Many thx for future updates!
Well, I did try with both VCDS and OBDeleven - still no luck. Neither of the known access codes worked, so looks a bit there is third one. The codes were accepted but the response from the controller suggests should be a different one :thumbsdown:

And indeed, the proposed (by the tools) access codes give access to different set of adaptations.

Unfortunately no new codes to try - not even here

Back