Auto lights front fogs on ????

Lotuscamper

H&S Manager
T6 Pro
Hi
We have just had our high line 2018 camperking for 3 weeks and been on a couple of local trips
I noticed as I watched my wife drive the van for first time that front fogs were on as she reversed off the drive ? The weather was very cloudy and setting was on auto
Does the fogs switch off after a time ? Or do these fogs stay on along with DRL ? Couldn’t see any reference in the manual ?

On my 6.1 my light switch is always on auto but you have to pull it out towards you one click for front fogs and two clicks for rear fog. Maybe your switch is in the first click position. They also come on left or right to act as cornering lights but go out a few seconds after straightening the steering.

This is assuming a T6 is the same as a 6.1

They also come on left or right to act as cornering lights but go out a few seconds after straightening the steering.

That’s certainly how my factory early T6 fogs work.

It could be a coding change done by a previous owner. Module 09 central electrics has a long coding option "Cornering lights active when reverse gear selected" (name according to OBDeleven).

There are loads of lights options available to mess with on Carista too so even someone messing with these could maybe have made the change

Hoped it was a simple issue where it reverts back to normal after driving I suspect it could be a coding issue?
Need to buy one of these Carista things ?

Hoped it was a simple issue where it reverts back to normal after driving I suspect it could be a coding issue?

Easy enough to check - if it's coding fogs should turn on with reverse gear and off after selecting any other gear.

Need to buy one of these Carista things ?

Maybe one of the Carista users in the forum can comment if it this particular option is available?

Or then just stick with it, *if* the fogs are only on with reverse (or switch of course) it probably isn't very disturbing feature if not very useful either.

Odd thing to code for fog to engage on reverse ? My wife taking van out to meet up with two daughter in laws , one just arrived from Brazil so I check as she reverses off the drive but I can’t check when she get going down the road ? I ask if the girls can see when they park up think they going to Chatsworth ?

Fogs on in reverse is supposed to give you a bit more front corner illumination when reversing in the dark to light up whatever you are going to swing the front round into.

It's not a new thing. I had a Passat in 2011 that did it, along with the one foglight cornering function. It should be noted that either function should only work with the light switch in Auto and the headlights automatically switched on dipped beam.

That’s normal behaviour and how it leaves the factory

As from factory in 2018 (T6) like OP has?

Must be market specific then, my Finland -sold 2018 definitely does not have that from factory.

Yes I can confirm reverse engages front fogs. They disappear as you drive forward I had to run ahead up the road to check ! All in a days work panic over ! Thanks for everyone valued feedback

On my 6.1 my light switch is always on auto but you have to pull it out towards you one click for front fogs and two clicks for rear fog. Maybe your switch is in the first click position. They also come on left or right to act as cornering lights but go out a few seconds after straightening the steering.

Well what do you know...... my front fogs come on in reverse when the headlights are on in auto :rolleyes: I've only driven the van a few times in the dark and last night was the first time I was in a position to see the lights come on.....so that's how its came from the factory, what a numpty for not noticing this before!!

Just the club as I am not used to vehicles with all these bells and whistles not sure why but heyho all part of VW world

I’ve never noticed this before but then I’m usually looking backwards when reversing. Seems funny that vw put more lighting on the front of the vehicle than the back when reverse is selected!

Back