Auto Headlights Retrofit

Ewan

I'm wondering if there are any kits out there to add on auto headlights or is it still a buy all the parts with some DIY wiring?

Just need a replacement switch with sensor there are aftermarket units available, think I have a couple send me a pm if your interested and I will see what I have

What @Pauly said . . .

I remember seeing a YT vid a while back that showed the replacement light switch and a light/lux sensor stuck to the windscreen . . . The lights and wiring were all OEM.

I fitted the eBay version to my van. Works great and is programmable for different settings, like how dark before they turn on, how long the lights stay on when locking or unlocking in the dark etc.

After checking:
"This doesn't fit a VW Multivan 2016 MK VI [2015-2018] MPV MPV 2.0 TDI 1968ccm 150HP 110KW (Diesel)"
how's that?

After checking:
"This doesn't fit a VW Multivan 2016 MK VI [2015-2018] MPV MPV 2.0 TDI 1968ccm 150HP 110KW (Diesel)"
how's that?

Yes it does, as long as you have the same size connector for the plug. The earlier T5’s had a larger size connector and the T5.1 and T6 have the smaller size like the one shown in the advert.

After checking:
how's that?
Everything on eBay will say that, the part matching doesn't work

I'd be keen to know how to adjust the timings on the sensor? Mine seem to come on at the first sign of clouds. Have got vcds but hadn't noticed an option to change this but to be fair have only just started to use it.

I'd be keen to know how to adjust the timings on the sensor? Mine seem to come on at the first sign of clouds. Have got vcds but hadn't noticed an option to change this but to be fair have only just started to use it.
Mine do exactly the same. Its got so annoying I've now switched them to off.

thank you for all replies. Anyone knows what is the factory fitted light sensor location ?
There are sensors for £120 and those for £20- I understand one is VW oan the other is not? How do i code timings?

thank you for all replies. Anyone knows what is the factory fitted light sensor location ?
There are sensors for £120 and those for £20- I understand one is VW oan the other is not? How do i code timings?
Factory fitted light sensor together with rain sensor(RLS) is mounted on the windscreen behind rear view mirror.
Sensitivity can be adjusted a little bit with VCDS but not really useful adjustment range. Basically you can adjust it to switch on the lights even sooner.
Also CH & LH timing can be adjusted with VCDS.

Reactions: mmi
Hi, Anybody know how to reset the aftermarket light sensor (the one with sensor built in)? My headlights are now coming on way too early. Side lights are on even on a sunny day! Quite annoying now. Thanks

Auto lights put dipped beam on. When you say "side lights" are you sure it's not your daytime running lights that are on?

Hi, Anybody know how to reset the aftermarket light sensor (the one with sensor built in)? My headlights are now coming on way too early. Side lights are on even on a sunny day! Quite annoying now. Thanks

Auto lights put dipped beam on. When you say "side lights" are you sure it's not your daytime running lights that are on?

The aftermarket version (got mine from @Pauly ) has two switch points. Overcast and it turns on sidelights (DRLs stay on too) and when it gets dark it turns headlights on. I'm not sure if there is any adjustment on the switch itself. But I find the sidelights come on too early and headlights come on a little too late, as the light fades. I've played about with the sensor position and now have it in the side air vent that points towards the wing mirror. Dont mind side lights coming on early but delay with the headlight was a pain. However with the sensor mounted in the vent, I just have to place my finger over it for 4 or 5 seconds and the headlights turn on. They stay on too, as long as the light level doesn't increase any. Had considered experimenting with covering the sensor with translucent sweetie wrappers, from a box of Quality Street. See if I can change the switch on point, by filtering the light. Suspect all I'll achieve though, will be diabetes. :unsure:

Hi, thanks for the response. Mine has the sensor fitted in the switch. I sorted it by quickly turning from Auto to sidelight position and back. This seems to set it as the current ambient light. Can be a pain waiting until the correct time of day but if you notice they aren't coming on soon enough you can reset quickly on the go. Same for headlight setting too.
Thanks

On my current headlights (Transporter HQ) The side light is actually a dimmed DRL rather than a separate one. Thanks

How is the auto switch programmed and meant to operate for welcome drl lights on opening and closing the van from fob ... I fitted the flea bay version yesterday and tested for the welcome light drl delay on both open and close from the fob and they both worked with about 30s delay.. but have just tried today .. albeit in daylight and no welcome light operation of the drl ... do they need some kind of programming .. the instructions were in Chinese
My F11 BMW has Auto lights for drl and these operate in day and night when in auto.. anyone know how to try the 'programming' switch selection procedure

Back