Auto Headlights Faulty - is this plug responsible?

Donk

Now dormant
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Fitted the new cab light unit from @saxoboy. Works a dream. Only thing now is I’ve noticed my auto headlights are not working correctly - they’re just on. I think the sensor is behind the rear view mirror area where I would have been. The only thing I’ve now found - having had a look, is the little connector in the photo which I don’t know if it should be plugged into something. But I can not see anywhere where it’s supposed to go into - guessing it probably should! Anyone able to help?

54AF3BD3-2FAF-4132-ACD2-AF8F213747A6.jpeg

That looks like the rain and light sensor. Can you tell me what the wire colours are on the plug and I’ll confirm.

That looks like the rain and light sensor. Can you tell me what the wire colours are on the plug and I’ll confirm.

Cable 1: Red/White
Cable 2: Brown
Cable 3: Yellow/Purple

Thanks

Yes that is the plug for the sensor

Thank you. Now I just got to work our where exactly I have to feed it back to and plug it into. Just can’t seem to see where.

Think you will need to remove the plastic trims around your rear view mirror (the two halves split apart but is a bit awkward) then the cable will drop down from roof lining

Think you will need to remove the plastic trims around your rear view mirror (the two halves split apart but is a bit awkward) then the cable will drop down from roof lining

Okay. So I’m guessing that connector plugs into another cable connector rather than straight into the ‘unit’?

I thought that looked like the plug and the sensor completely had fallen out of the mirror housing, did you remove it?

I thought that looked like the plug and the sensor completely had fallen out of the mirror housing, did you remove it?

I’d have to have a closer look at it but I think its just the plug in the pic. I didn’t intentionally remove it. Must have been my sausage fingers fumbling around doing the light unit replacement that dislodged it. I’ll have another look at it in the morning.

Oh wow yes! I just need to get to all that gubbins and plug it back in then. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I am a very new T6.1 owner. I have purchased a new camper conversion from a reputable dealer, and noticed an auto headlight sensor failure once I drove the vehicle home. The dealer thinks it is due to a disconnection in the rear view mirror stem. I would take it back to them, but they are 250 miles away. I'm happy to check the connection myself, but wonder if anyone can tell me how to take the plastic cover off the mirror stem to see if there is a disconnection? I don't want to force it and break it so soon after getting it!

Back