[Guide] High Beam Assist Retrofit - How I Eventually Fettled It :-)

Spookybear

Sold up
T6 Pro
Hey,

Just finished my HBA install. Pretty straightforward in the end so thought I'd post a how-to.. Can I say, I love the look of the Rimless mirror, very posh looking lol

Cheers go out to @mmi for the comparison scans to see what changes needed to be made & @Robert

Mirror purchased from a chap in Poland, £142 bargain :) Mine is the G but the F will work OK

T6 Lowline with plastic surround = 7E0857511F
T6 Highline with rimless surround = 7EO857511G

HARDWARE
1. Remove mirror top cover (lever the windscreen sides out & pull cover away from screen)
2. Remove mirror middle cover (lever middle out & slightly up at an angle)
3. Remove mirror bottom cover (grab open side near screen & pull apart whilst sliding the cover straight down)
4. Create Canbus lead - 2 lengths of cable in a drill to twist, then use 0.1" Crimp Pins at mirror end (from Hobbytronics)
5. Open existing mirror terminal block by inserting a screwdriver in the thin slot halfway down & lever towards wire end
6. Look at the plug & identify 3 & 8 (3 may already have a green/black)
7. Insert your designated Can Lo wire into 8, for pin 3 either remove & insulate completely, or cut & solder Can High wire into the plug end, isolating the loom side
8. Run the cable down the A pillar to the BCM which is up above the accelerator pedal in an upright position
9. Remove the large white plug by pressing the tab & arc the lever backwards to the middle of the plug. It’s tight but will come out without dropping the BCM
10. Find the twisted pair, Orange/Brown & Orange/Violet, these are in a row next to the fat red/blue & red/yellow, (sorry couldn’t see a pin number)
11. Solder your designated Can Hi wire to the Orange/Violet & your Can Lo wire to Orange/Brown

SOFTWARE
1. Go into Can Gateway (19) – Installation list & enable address 20 High Beam Assist & save
2. Go into BCM/Cent electronics (09), go into adaptations & go down to Ch53, change from 0 to 1
3. Go into BCM/Cent electronics (09), go into adaptations & go down to Ch54, make sure this is set to 1, save & exit
4. Go into High Beam Assist (20) - Coding, long coding helper - byte 0 - Change to 01 for HALOGENS, 04 for LED, do the same with byte 1 & also check steering side – Right or Left, Save & exit

Turn the ignition back on & now when you flick the high beam stalk forward the symbol should show, (headlight with an A next to it)

Job jobbed. Just been for a drive with mine expecting it to be OK, but it reacts perfectly, almost quicker than I would. Happy Days!!

I’ve also changed my adaptations in High Beam Assist (20) not req'd to get it working though

IDE03885-Speed threshold for high beam recommendation off, 10 km/h (factory setting 28 km/h)
IDE03886-Activation speed for high beam assistant, 20 km/h (factory setting 58 km/h)
IDE08662-Speed threshold for immediate high beam recommendation off, 5 km/h (as from factory)

When dropping below 10kmh the lights auto switch back to low & as soon as you get to 20kmh they switch to high so a great compromise. Now all I need to suss is how to get this to be persistant in the cluster so every time you turn the ignition on you don’t have to activate them & it remembers the last known setting

** your van must have auto-lights. It has been said you need auto wipers, but I've yet to see a van that only has auto lights :) We are waiting for a user to try this mod on his lowline cluster to see if it works without the telltale in the dash

1. remove mirror top cover.jpg 2. remove mirror centre cover.jpg 3. twist mirror anticlockwise (look at lugs).jpg 4. existing 8 way plug.jpg 5. remove A pillar trim.jpg 6. Cable run.jpg 7. BCM - we want the white plug.jpg 9. twisted pair - orange_brown & orange_violet.jpg8. lever little tabs at top out.jpg10. nice rim-less job.jpg 11. another fine rim-less pic.jpg 12. HBA icon.jpg 13. HBA gone on manual high beam.jpg 2019-09-19 10.45.26.jpg 2019-09-19 18.11.44.jpg

Attachments

• dashboard colours.pdf
    799.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Fantastic but I can’t find HBA ie step 4 :(
Which controller is it in?

Edit: Ignore me. Doh!

Last edited:
You have installed the mirror with camera & the wiring harness havent you?

No, I thought as I had an auto dipping mirror with auto lights and wipers I didnt need to fit a different mirror.

Edit: I guess thats another thing added to my list. :/

Last edited:
Great work and brilliant write up.
Funnily enough, your original thread popped in to my head as I drove along the lanes last night..
then I thought about how I couldn’t really work out whether i had my dipped or full beam on... then I remembered I had H4’s... then I thought about the LED retrofit.... I digress.
Thanks for sharing the pix. Always makes a job look easier.

Great write up @Spookybear I have decided to fit this at the same time I retrofit the LED's, does anyone have the part number for the lower plastic trim that has the cut out for the camera please? The 'G unit I have bought doesn't appear to come with it. (I assume the top and middle pieces can be re-used from my existing mirror)

Great write up @Spookybear I have decided to fit this at the same time I retrofit the LED's, does anyone have the part number for the lower plastic trim that has the cut out for the camera please? The 'G unit I have bought doesn't appear to come with it. (I assume the top and middle pieces can be re-used from my existing mirror)
3G0858548A

For the hardware install (points 6&7) have I understood correctly that the existing green and black wire in pin 3 (pictured) becomes redundant and is cut out to make way way for the can high wire back to the BCM. (Rather than splicing into it?)

E4E00FD3-ED2C-41AA-9FF4-6A5CCF8D0ABB.jpeg

Will this work with any VW mirror that has HBA such as a mk 6 golf cabrio mirror, can’t find the 7E0 mirrors anywhere other than €320 ones.

Well, I attempted to do the wiring today but no chance of getting anywhere near the wiring with a soldering iron. Are there any other locations I can get to the wires?

I had a look under the bonnet but no joy. Now I’m sitting in the house again, I wonder if the wires go into the wiring under the front seats.

1721F541-034C-40E2-964A-F0F41E9E192C.jpeg

Taken both seats out just to be able to see what’s what, only 5 mins.

under the passenger seat is a whole host of wires/plugs. The red plug (yellow arrow) appears to have the same coloured wires on and a number of 7E0971478FH as a loom number so will have a dig online to see if that helps me connect the wiring up.

3366651F-1B55-4019-B438-90673D8DEC7A.jpeg

I must be the only bloke who dis-likes the HBA, I’ve looked at disabling mine via VCDS but no joy....yet!

Back