AppConnect worth it?

foxpod

Hi all
I have the 150ps Highline with standard media system and a friend of mine has the same van and says you can pay VW £250 to update the radio so you can use voice command and see google maps on the screen?
Has anyone done this and is it worth it?
thx

That price is each
To use maps on screen you would need app connect activated, this would give you apple car play and android auto (depending on your phone preference) which allows you to run satnav off your phone and display it on the screen
Voice control is a separate thing and would need separate activation

WoW !
I find it a bit off that you can have all these on your media and have to pay extra for it !
A bit mean from VW

That price is each
To use maps on screen you would need app connect activated, this would give you apple car play and android auto (depending on your phone preference) which allows you to run satnav off your phone and display it on the screen
Voice control is a separate thing and would need separate activation

Can this be done with some vcds magic?

Another example of VW squeezing as much as it possibly can out of gullible punters. Is the car part of the company as bad as that for commercial vehicles?

Yes, my well spec'd golf has some of the infotainment options but not the voice activated part...I decided I could live without it for the silly costs quoted.

Annoyingly my T6 Highline even has the 'Voice' button on the steering wheel but it doesn't' actually do anything!

Annoyingly my T6 Highline even has the 'Voice' button on the steering wheel but it doesn't' actually do anything!

It will if you press and hold the button, Siri works quite well this way (you need app connect first).

You have app connect and an iPhone? it works for me and others who don't have the actual voice control option.

I haven't got App Connect. I do however use Android (but, frankly, would never want an iPhone). The main thrust of this thread is about stuff that VW could easily activate as it is already embedded within the system but they choose to charge you a lot of money for it instead . My point was that they have put a button on the steering wheel that does nothing whatsoever unless you pay them a further £250 (or whatever) on top of the £30K (or whatever ) paid for the van in the first place - most car makers would include it FOC in the first place.

I haven't got App Connect. I do however use Android (but, frankly, would never want an iPhone). The main thrust of this thread is about stuff that VW could easily activate as it is already embedded within the system but they choose to charge you a lot of money for it instead . My point was that they have put a button on the steering wheel that does nothing whatsoever unless you pay them a further £250 (or whatever) on top of the £30K (or whatever ) paid for the van in the first place - most car makers would include it FOC in the first place.

Most car makers now put these kinds of options behind a paywall, it's not just VW. My wife's BMW has various infotainment options locked away until you cough up for the privilege of paying for them.

I also have app connect and an iPhone and the button does nothing for me

Hmm, well I'm stumped then, I don't have voice control and the button works with a long press to voice control my phone, but not the crappy factory radio itself.

It will if you press and hold the button, Siri works quite well this way (you need app connect first).
I use this function in my golf using android auto...obv's need to have the phone connected via USB - hopefully the next generation of vehicles will support wireless android auto! :)

Back