Anyone Towed With a TSi DSG?

Changed our 2008 t5 2.5tdi caravelle for a new TSI 204 dsg caravelle, had tha tow hitch fitted today but not looking forward to towing with it ! DSG box is dreadful on pull off, can’t feather it to pull off nicely. So I can’t see trying to tow with it will be nice. The old torque converter and 400nm of torque was great in the tdi, now we are petrol , 350nm and DSG! Anyone tried towing a caravan with theirs? Was going to ask the dealer if they can re map the box to give more slip when pulling away as all mine does is spin the wheels and bounce. Really hard to pull away from a junction with out upsetting it. Once going the box is great, quick and sharp, but bad in pull off. Won’t get into mpg! Done 6000 miles so far and not yet seen 30mpg,sitting at 24mpg still!
I should have mention in the post that I purchased a caravan last year and I tow it with the T6 hence my reply. But as to the fuel economy I can’t help at all

Last edited:
Heavy load or towing = diesel

Peddle boxes are snake oil imho. Technically All the peddle does is give the ECU 2x 0-100% signals (2 for redunancy, and they are opposites too 0-100 and 100-0) which represents your requested power demand.

All the peddle box does is add-too or remove-from a percentage of travel from the peddle as it sits in between the peddle and the ECU.

So just pressing the peddle more or less has the same effect.

But its the perceived effect that people like, so good on them..... but its not for me..... and it wont help a petrol van tow a large load.

Before @Pauly tells me off, the above is totally my personal opinions and not those of T6F or it's admin team. =]
Heavy load or towing = diesel

Peddle boxes are snake oil imho. Technically All the peddle does is give the ECU 2x 0-100% signals (2 for redunancy, and they are opposites too 0-100 and 100-0) which represents your requested power demand.

All the peddle box does is add-too or remove-from a percentage of travel from the peddle as it sits in between the peddle and the ECU.

So just pressing the peddle more or less has the same effect.

But its the perceived effect that people like, so good on them..... but its not for me..... and it wont help a petrol van tow a large load.

Before @Pauly tells me off, the above is totally my personal opinions and not those of T6F or it's admin team. =]
I don’t understand the full workings of it all but it is definitely smoother when pulling away because you don’t seem to have the hesitation if it’s set correctly or to your preference.

Towed the boat trailer this morn for the first time since remap. There is no hesitation on any incline. Managed to keep 32mpg, but obviously that is on diesel. Would hate to think what the return with petrol would be.

Towed the boat trailer this morn for the first time since remap. There is no hesitation on any incline. Managed to keep 32mpg, but obviously that is on diesel. Would hate to think what the return with petrol would be.

I struggle to get that with an empty TSI driving like an old lady

I've had to reprogram my right foot since buying my 204 DSG TSI. I found it very difficult initially to pull away smartly without a heavy lurch as the traction control interupted momentarily (or that's what it feels like). It still takes a bit of care, but I am more comfortable with it now. I was considering that the tyres might not help, so will look for something better when they need replacing or I change the wheels.
On this mornings 80 mile commute on a mixture of A roads & motorway (very little town driving) my van returned just over 29mpg (the best yet, but my van still has under 3k miles). That was with the cruise set to 70mph for the motorway.
However, I have also paid £1k deposit for a Prins LPG conversion, which should be installed within the next few months. Then I expect to get low 20's mpg, but will be paying between 55-75p/litre.

I can't help with info regarding towing though, sorry.

Interesting responses, thanks for your help. Peddle box is interesting, I was surprised this van did not come with this switch as standard like an economy and sport mode which dulls the accerator in economy mode. Mpg does not concern me as the old 2.5 tdi only did about 30mpg, our current motorhome only does 24mpg and my plug in hybrid Mitsubishi only does 28mg, so pretty used to bad mpg. Just concerned the clutch take off in DSG is gong to be a pain towing, especially trying to couple up! This van ideally needs a hybrid motor drive on the rear wheels! Hope the t6.5 has that option and I would be the first to order! Will be changing the OEM tyre first as they are rubbish, got stuck in the snow the other day not good! Had Dunlop sp 9000 on the old bus which were brilliant .

Interesting responses, thanks for your help. Peddle box is interesting, I was surprised this van did not come with this switch as standard like an economy and sport mode which dulls the accerator in economy mode. Mpg does not concern me as the old 2.5 tdi only did about 30mpg, our current motorhome only does 24mpg and my plug in hybrid Mitsubishi only does 28mg, so pretty used to bad mpg. Just concerned the clutch take off in DSG is gong to be a pain towing, especially trying to couple up! This van ideally needs a hybrid motor drive on the rear wheels! Hope the t6.5 has that option and I would be the first to order! Will be changing the OEM tyre first as they are rubbish, got stuck in the snow the other day not good! Had Dunlop sp 9000 on the old bus which were brilliant .
If you email DTUK I found really helpful and informative it’s worth looking at I find it good.

The TSI is lacking in torque as standard. A decent remap will sort this and the pedal response.

Back