Anyone been and stayed somewhere really cold ?

Carbon13

T6 Pro
Anyone on here been to a ski resort, to northern Europe or similar during the winter in their van ? If so how did you find it for warmth with an Eberspacher or Wallas etc fitted, was the insulation up to the job and if so what was the insulation material that was used. Did you have the top up or down, Kamper Kozi fitted, driveaway awning up ?

I ask as this is one of the uses I intend putting my conversion to, some skiing for a few weeks a year in the Tirol and to Sweden hunting the northern lights. I sent my specs to a couple of convertors this week and I think my desire to have something other than a 3 season UK van put one reputable convertor off straight away. Also had one convertor say they don't touch LWB vans for reasons they did not make clear in relation to LWB roof reliability ?!?

I think finding a convertor might be a little more difficult than I expected.

Mmm.... I've lived in -20 for longish periods (3 weeks max). In my humble opinion I would be rather more interested in what will cover me while I sleep rather than the insulation requirements for my van. A winter prepared engine and underbody will be all the more important to. If your van is 'normally insulated' with a Webasto/Eber heater that will suffice. Think more about your sleeping clothes, sleeping bag mate. If you have a pop top and dont really need to use it (ie: no kids) then leave it down at night. A smaller space is easier to keep warm. Oh and park in as sheltered spot as possible.

Once mine is converted, I will be taking it into Europe next year and I really fancy doing some of the more northern areas, so good advice here! Thanks

Once mine is converted, I will be taking it into Europe next year and I really fancy doing some of the more northern areas, so good advice here! Thanks

Hi, PM me if you need advice on northern europe in a van. Me and mine + dog travelled EU this summer for 3.5 weeks in an unconverted van. We covered in order: Nederlands, NW Germany, Denmark, NE Germany, SE Germany, Austria, Slovenia, N Italy (NE to NW) SW Germany, then back to UK. We saw loads, experienced every kind of weather and had great fun! oh, good luck and enjoy it!

Anyone on here been to a ski resort, to northern Europe or similar during the winter in their van ? If so how did you find it for warmth with an Eberspacher or Wallas etc fitted, was the insulation up to the job and if so what was the insulation material that was used. Did you have the top up or down, Kamper Kozi fitted, driveaway awning up ?

I ask as this is one of the uses I intend putting my conversion to, some skiing for a few weeks a year in the Tirol and to Sweden hunting the northern lights. I sent my specs to a couple of convertors this week and I think my desire to have something other than a 3 season UK van put one reputable convertor off straight away. Also had one convertor say they don't touch LWB vans for reasons they did not make clear in relation to LWB roof reliability ?!?

I think finding a convertor might be a little more difficult than I expected.

So I've been skiing twice in my T6 this year but many times in a motorhome. I had it converted by coast2 coast campers. I gave them my spec needs to be insulated, go skiing a lot and they did a great. job

-11 at Hintertux, honking down with snow was cosy as hell. Solar panel is a must as is heating. I had hot water fitted as well.

My one piece of advice. if you want to wild camp 2 days tops. Wet kit, battery power even with a genny is a challenge. Get yourself onto a site I've stayed a lot of places in the in my motorhome & van skiing. The sites mainly provide showers, ski & boot rooms drying space and all important hook up.

over many years it was €2 or €3 euros a day for electric now they charge by the kWh and its triple the price especially in France.

Stayed there once some time ago good site.
Hello from the Fatherland ! Everyone should visit Bavaria once in their lifetime, we are well into a week's skiing and looking enviously at a the T4, T5 and T6 campers at the ski resorts on the Zugspitze Arena. The visit had made me realise I need a ski carrier for the rear of the planned van, the costs just keep mounting but given the average chalet here is close to a million a van is definitely my accommodation of choice.

Hello from the Fatherland ! Everyone should visit Bavaria once in their lifetime, we are well into a week's skiing and looking enviously at a the T4, T5 and T6 campers at the ski resorts on the Zugspitze Arena. The visit had made me realise I need a ski carrier for the rear of the planned van, the costs just keep mounting but given the average chalet here is close to a million a van is definitely my accommodation of choice.

I just lay my skis across the van. When I stop for a kip i just lay the skis in the centre aisle.

Back