Anybody Ever Go To Salisbury Plain?

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
I’m working near Salisbury plain this week and I fancy taking my van to get a bit dirty, can anyone recommend any good roads or routes or places to head for, I haven’t been there in years. Nothing too extreme I don’t want to damage anything but I definitely fancy playing in the mud.

OS maps online show the byways and legal routes etc. £3 for one month viewing. route with green + or round green blobs are the ones you are looking for.

All of the compacted gravel roads are legal and lots of the byways are clearly marked, just stay away from any restricted areas and obey the flags and you’ll be ok.

If you go a bit off route don’t try to avoid or get away from the rangers, have a chat and tell them you thought you were on a byway and they will point you in the right direction. It’s the old rules, show them a bit of respect and you’ll be fine.

The plain dries really quickly but be careful of the chalk if it’s wet, it is very slippery (think wet ice). Also where it is very muddy or wet it can be very deep, perhaps up to 3 or 4 foot deep.

Used to go there a lot, occasionally drive up through Bullford camp up to the top of the range but more recently the range flags are constantly flying at the moment.
Also, the wet chalk sets solid in your radiator and can lead to overheating and a massive clean job with the bumper off!

Back