Another cracked screen.

I used this for a chip (halfords). i would give it a go on a small crack, nothing to lose, I read somewhere you can do small cracks but i wouldn't hang about as they can quickly spread
IMG_8743.PNG

I doubt you be able to prevent a crack from getting bigger. In any sheet material, the only way is to drill a hole at either end to contain it. Not an ideal fix for a windscreen.

As for the cost, surely your insurance has windscreen cover? So £75 - £100 excess and no effect on NCD.

Just had my windscreen replaced by Auto windscreens today, and went out to the shops and its noisier than before, in fact a lot noisier. I checked several times to see if the windows were slightly down. The screen is heated and all the sensors work, and there is a little ear on the Pilkington info, but its not good. I've now got to travel about a thousand miles in the next week or so with no chance to sort this out. Bugger!

Just had my windscreen replaced by Auto windscreens today, and went out to the shops and its noisier than before, in fact a lot noisier. I checked several times to see if the windows were slightly down. The screen is heated and all the sensors work, and there is a little ear on the Pilkington info, but its not good. I've now got to travel about a thousand miles in the next week or so with no chance to sort this out. Bugger!
Just curious, would you mind to post the photo of your new windscreen marking?

Reactions: mmi
I will if I get a chance tomorrow.
Im booked with Auto Windscreens tomorrow and really interested what sort of glass they prepared. They told me its gonna be Pilkington or similar. My windscreen is heated, acoustic as you see on symbols. there is a lot information on web regarding markings. Not sure if you can get heated/non acoustic so will ask them to show me replacement. My glass is Nord Glass as you see on picture E20- made in Poland, DOT 765 ( Department of transport) - certified in Poland, AS1- transparency more then 70% or no tint, M423 manufacturer specific code ( Nord Glass only) , //- standard multi layer, ((( - suitable for China market and bottom sign is acoustic or it has to say- acoustic or sound screen, are-all-windshields-acoustic-glass.jpg

IMG_8613.JPG

Did Halfords do the repair and if so how much?
I’ve just acquired a similar chip and auto glass quoted £185 for a repair.
Was trying to avoid using the insurance.
£40 as usual at Halfords, but i recon their repair is not as good as autoglas, fixed the overall integrity but crack is still visible

6B941C79-68A4-41A5-8476-C790F0CC84EA.jpeg

Decided to join this club, repaired it at Halfords, lets see will it survive through the winter ❄️

View attachment 132953
That’s nothing, If I replaced the windscreen on my car I’d triple it’s value. I've used ebay kits and good old brake cleaner with Loctite 406.
It passes MOT and keeps the water out.

A new member to the club today. I had a chip right smack bang in the middle about a year ago. That was repaired and I've put up with it, but now I've got an 8" crack with no sign of a chip, starting from under the scuttle cover below the passenger side wiper. I don't know how it happened, it was just there this morning.

Autoglass booked for Monday. Bloody £95 excess these days. I think the last time I had a new screen it was £25.

A new member to the club today. I had a chip right smack bang in the middle about a year ago. That was repaired and I've put up with it, but now I've got an 8" crack with no sign of a chip, starting from under the scuttle cover below the passenger side wiper. I don't know how it happened, it was just there this morning.

Autoglass booked for Monday. Bloody £95 excess these days. I think the last time I had a new screen it was £25.
Yep! It used to be £25 excess! Now nearer £100! I had a screen on my T5.1 replaced (as it was properly smashed!) and the very next day, a blooming stone chip right in my line of sight!

I did turn the air blue and I didn’t get it fixed again!

fro

May be a frosty screen and your heater left on on full heat

I had a crack in exactly the same place, how strange, could not see a chip either.
Toby

if you look at the crack is it just below where the vent is blowing up the warm - hot air might not be frosty but fast expansion on a cold screen i'v seen stone chips crack across the screen with the heater left on
we have large office toughened glass panels shatter here due to expansion

another item mentioned in here the heater box could get really hot too might be why some of these plastic control arm linkages break as people tend to turn their heater to full getting in a cold van. you had to in the old days... my knob lol is set to 22 ( mid way ) and heating comes on hot i never need to adjust it

im a ex air con engineer..... don' t touch the thermostats.... is why they are thermostats lol let them do the work.

Reactions: JOG
Back