For Sale Ambient Cabin Overhead Lighting

Good idea, where did you pick it up from fella?

I’ve just fitted mine today and done the same, picked up the feed from the blue/grey wire out of the dash dimming switch. Ambient lights come on with side lights and dimming function works.

Cheers to @saxoboy for the instructions supplied.

I’ve just fitted mine today and done the same, picked up the feed from the blue/grey wire out of the dash dimming switch. Ambient lights come on with side lights and dimming function works.

Cheers to @saxoboy for the instructions supplied.
Have to let us know how they look :cool:
@LakesT6 based in the lakes I assume? Where abouts??

I had my first real dark drive in the Golf, where my lights ended up. The LEDs are awesomely bright and to ambient LEDs are excellent, illuminating my hand eirily on the steering wheel.
Excellent mod. Just a pity it won't (yet) fit in the van...

I had my first real dark drive in the Golf, where my lights ended up. The LEDs are awesomely bright and to ambient LEDs are excellent, illuminating my hand eirily on the steering wheel.
Excellent mod. Just a pity it won't (yet) fit in the van...
can you not de-solder the connector . . . . and solder in a fly-lead instead? (so it will will fit with the larger cubby?)

Probably @Dellmassive but it was slated for either car and the best fit won. Tried the van first.
I'd need to look carefully at it as my soldering isn't great and I have 2 other projects that stopped at that point... Not time rich in the summer.

Cheers @saxoboy ,
What a cracking upgrade,instead of running the yellow dimming cable down,I installed a 7 core yy flex from cab light to dash area, then used this cable for the ambience and also to pick up the feed for my foot well lighting,leaving 4 spare cores for future dash cam etc (permanently or switched feeds) and all joints are behind the blanking cover for easy access/future upgrade!
I removed the cable from the dimming unit, recrimped and installed new leg from dash dimmer back to a 3 port wago block behind the drivers air vent for future access,no soldering or tapping involved just a reusable joint.

all fitted - 15min job

and with a set of these LED w5w bulbs . . . . . very nice.

blue/grey wire from light switch (dimmed ambient lighting feed) as per install guide.

20191011_083247.jpg 20191011_083415.jpg 20191011_083428.jpg 78.jpg...

ironically i ordered 2 different sets of w5w LEDS, and fitted the above as they arrived first . . . .

but the second lot arrived today . . . . and look stickingly similar to the Factory LED bulbs that were already fitted.!

these were the LED that i removed from the existing unit . . . . the glass ones were supplied with the new unit . . . . .

20191011_155047.jpg

and these are the other ones that arrived today . . . . .

20191011_155103.jpg

now the thing is that one of the factory LEDs had started to flicker intermittently . . . which was annoying...

so out of there so far id recommend the ones i listed first as above . . . .

Last edited:
Back