Air Suspension for my 4Mo?

DCC is surprisingly good, in sport mode on a B road it's great fun!
Yep, I can tell the difference between the 3 settings, but what I can't tell is just how much work altering each damper up-to 1000 times/second independently of each other does, based on all the different inputs from the vehicle. I can't tell, because I can't turn it off to compare:confused:;)

On the subject is suspension, anyone tell me how DCC works, I assume it's a bit like manually adjustable Spax I had in the eighties but computer controlled?

Below give a pretty good insight
Volkswagen DCC Adaptive Chassis Control – Design and Function

The two main aspects are a button on the dash that allows you to select between Comfort; Normal; Sport;
and the Automatic Dynamic Adjustment of the shocks, each shock's damping settings (both extension and compression) being adjusted independantly up to 1000 times per second automatically. That is to say the speed of extension and the speed of compression are adjusted separately, the front-left shocker could have a fast extension; and a slow compression: The rear-right shocker could have a slow extension; and a fast compression: then 0.001secs later the whole thing swapped around. This is possible because the oil reservoirs are remote, and have some storage capacity, the oil is not in a closed system within the shocker.

My biggest criticism of my old T5 Vel ,was that the standard suspension was just too hard on B Roads, yes it was flat cornering, but on the straight it was rough and could bounce through harmonic resonance and get a little out of control (if fact I have scared myself before through lack of controlled damping). The DCC deals with this brilliantly.

The button on the dash is interesting, we have had the T6Vel for 2 months/ 2000miles. The Mrs prefers it in sport setting, as she suffers from travel sickness. The Vel cabin defiantly shakes more on B roads in S mode; but it feels more planted more confidence inspiring, in the corners, less body roll. Wether or not it actually goes around corners any faster I do not know, and perhaps it doesn't. There have been some tests on Golfs fitted with DCC on race tracks, and there was no difference in lap times between the three settings, but the drivers preferred the feel in sports mode whilst driving fast. This is because the Automatic Dynamic is always working, and cannot be tuned off, so no matter which setting you have it in, it will use the inputs from the van and stop the shockers on the inside of the corner compressing too quickly, then extending too quickly. There are no active pumps, just a series of valves that slows down or speeds up how the dampers can compress or extend independently of each other.

It really is a very good system that VW should offer across the all the T6's as an option, and it is very robust.:mexican wave:. I doubt you can change the spring height, so you are probably stuck with the standard ride height, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Last edited:
No I don't, I think you have to get the quote from one of the fitter dealers, i.e. it is not supplied as parts only directly to end users.
I think the interface may take inputs like speed from the can-bus, and lower the vehicle automatically as speed increases (like a rangerover would); also connected to esp (stability programme) systems accelerometers and gyroscopes to stiffen each channel of suspension needed for high speed cornering. It may also stop you driving off with the vehicle fully lowered etc etc .
I'm not sure why I feel the need to correct my posts; however trying to be part of making this forum as informative as possible, here goes:
The electrical interface is partly to do with safety; serviceability; longevity; but also comes historically from when the VB system was OEM. However due to high costs/low demand it was removed from the VW options list; yet still maintained a form of acceptance from VW. Whilst VW do not approve this aftermarket kit, they do offer a Letter of Non Objection (LONO). this effectively means whilst not approved as such, VW will not use the correct fitting of these aftermarket bits/systems as any reason whatsoever to reject a warrantee claim for components which could be effected by these parts. i.e. if you raise the suspension too high, and travel too far, too fast, the angle of misalignment of the prop-shaft/drive shafts will lead to premature ware. By tying in the a "high rise" with "low speeds" through the interface to can-bus, VW can be reasonable sure any premature failure of their parts, is not due to the aftermarket bits being miss used by the operator. This costs the aftermarket supplier, a lot of time and money to convince VW to issue a LONO. I do not think the can bus interfaced with the onboard sensors can respond to high speed cornering, that is too advanced for this system (I think), and would need DCC combined to do that (which I think a Range Rover has). VB currently say their air system cannot be used with VW DCC currently?? Watch this space.:geek::geek::geek:

Last edited:
Why do I feel the need to correct my own posts??
Anyway, it would seem that

I'm not sure why I feel the need to correct my posts; however trying to be part of making this forum as informative as possible, her goes:
The electrical interface is partly to do with safety; serviceability; longevity; but also comes historically from when the VB system was OEM. However due to high costs/low demand it was removed from the options list; yet still maintained a form of acceptance from VW. Whilst VW do not approve this aftermarket kit, they do offer a Letter of Non Objection (LONO). this effectively means whilst not approved as such, VW will not use the fitting of these aftermarket bits/systems as any reason whatsoever to reject a warrantee claim for components which could be effected by these parts. i.e. if you raise the suspension too high, and travel too far, too fast, the angle of misalignment of the prop-shaft will lead to premature ware. By tying in the a "high rise" with "low speeds" through the interface to can-bus, VW can be reasonable sure any premature failure is not due to the aftermarket bits. This costs the aftermarket supplier, a lot of time and money to convince VW to issue one. I do not think the can bus interfaced with the onboard sensors can respond to high speed cornering, that is too advanced for this system (I think), and would need DCC combined to do that (which I think a Range Rover has). VB currently say their air system cannot be used with VW DCC currently?? Watch this space.:geek::geek::geek:
Nominating you for knighthood for VW technical services rendered, thanks for all the above, wow 1,000 times a second!

the time for talking is nearly over; lets hear all about it in real time, from the horses mouth!!!!

WELL THAT'S IT....... It's now a year and a day exactly since I first put my order in for my T6. Along the way I've had same massive ups and downs. Unfortunately this story starts and ends with massive lows.

It all started badly when my van, ordered through a broker, was cancelled in December after 12 weeks waiting and with just 2 weeks to go to delivery. After much too-ing and fro-ing with the broker I only got my deposit back and an extra £500 when I threatened legals. I reordered through my local dealer in January and despite more delays and having to change my order to keep it on track (delete swivels), I have to say I had an excellent service from the guys at Swindon VW. My van finally arrived in May, and I then had another wait while my van was converted to a camper but boy was the wait worth it, I was absolutely bowled over by the quality and attention to detail of the conversion by Ed and his team at Celtic Motorhomes near Cardiff.

Two weeks away in the camper in France with the family was magical and everything I hoped we'd get as a family from the van. The only lows, a cracked windscreen and a dint on the bonnet.

Then to the toys..... Booked in for air ride and alloys, the front struts took 5 weeks to arrive and so a 1 week job took 5 weeks to complete meaning I missed out on Busfest.

And then finally this morning, I've been to pick my van up and I can't believe it..... I'VE HIT A NEW LOW IN MY VAN.............

OH WOW that looks ace mate im so jealous, well done to ya! long road you have had, all good now, just enjoy kid :thumbsup:

sod the garage just cruise :cool:

Back