Air Conditioning Service

Sorry you feel i am rude but that is certainly not as intended i will however refrain from posting in future :) apologies if anyone has been offended!
@Motortech
Your knowledge and advice was very much appreciated and I for one hope you remain on the forum and continue offering your advice.
I don't think anyone was offended, we are all pretty thick skinned on here.:thumbsup:

So while working at my mechanics house today we got onto talking about the air con in the T6 as this is one of the many jobs he carries out, apparently the T6 has only around half the quantity of fluid as older transporters.

The fluid has less CFC’s in it due to environmental regs, and without being prompted he said straight away to have it serviced every 2 years where before it was more like 6 years before a service was required.

Also where he would re gas the system to find the leak previously at a cost of around £45 then a free refill once he’d done the repair he no longer offers this due to the high rise in the cost of the fluid he has to buy.

He agreed that with the more frequency of servicing that there was still a large amount of CFC’s leaking out into the atmosphere.

Oh, and it’s now a highly flammable liquid where it wasn’t before.

2[27] and a final report publicly released on July 24, 2013[9]agreed that R-1234yf was safe to use in automotive direct-expansion air conditioning systems. R-1234yf was believed not to increase the estimated risk of vehicle fire exposure. The report further stated that "the refrigerant release testing completed by Daimler was unrealistic" and "created extreme conditions that favored ignition".[

Taken from that exact info...

I recall from some years ago, emergency services been given the heads up about AC refrigerant.

....."In case of fire it releases highly corrosive and toxic hydrogen fluoride and the highly toxic gas carbonyl fluoride"....

Unfortunately, back then, it was part of my job description to poke about with crashed and/or burnt out motors. So this warning really filled me with enthusiasm for the role.
:eek:

Current T6's use R134a refrigerant, which is the most common gas in use and has been for the last 20 years or so. R134a is being phased out now and most new vehicles are being type-approved with R1234yf which is hydrocarbon based and is mildly flammable (but really nothing to worry about).
All vehicle aircon systems loose gas via the compressor shaft seal and the rubber hoses, the current maximum allowed rate is around 60g per year. I find that an average system that has never been serviced or recharged will stop cooling after 8 years or so as the gas pressure will be too low to operate the pressure switch, which is there to protect the system from running with insufficient refrigerant (and therefore oil) circulating.
I have found on the T6 that the aircon will shut down if the battery voltage drops too low (not certain what voltage exactly).

I recall from some years ago, emergency services been given the heads up about AC refrigerant.

....."In case of fire it releases highly corrosive and toxic hydrogen fluoride and the highly toxic gas carbonyl fluoride"....

Unfortunately, back then, it was part of my job description to poke about with crashed and/or burnt out motors. So this warning really filled me with enthusiasm for the role.
:eek:

I think that must be the old CFC R12 gas, I come across automatic extinguishing systems used on PSV vehicles, that use R134a as an extinguishant

@HotandCold

Current T6's use R134a refrigerant, which is the most common gas in use and has been for the last 20 years or so. R134a is being phased out now and most new vehicles are being type-approved with R1234yf which is hydrocarbon based and is mildly flammable (but really nothing to worry about).
All vehicle aircon systems loose gas via the compressor shaft seal and the rubber hoses, the current maximum allowed rate is around 60g per year. I find that an average system that has never been serviced or recharged will stop cooling after 8 years or so as the gas pressure will be too low to operate the pressure switch, which is there to protect the system from running with insufficient refrigerant (and therefore oil) circulating.
I have found on the T6 that the aircon will shut down if the battery voltage drops too low (not certain what voltage exactly).

When you say new, how new? As quite a few of us are driving MY18 or MY19 vans, or are you saying NO current T6 has the newest R1234yf refrigerant.

Just to clarify please.

Last edited:
I work with new unregistered T6 chassis so they are MY 2018/2019 and all are using R134a. As they are type-approved R134a, they will be able to carry on being built with it until 2020, as I understand it, after that it will have to be R1234yf.

I work with new unregistered T6 chassis so they are MY 2018/2019 and all are using R134a. As they are type-approved R134a, they will be able to carry on being built with it until 2020, as I understand it, after that it will have to be R1234yf.

Ok, that’s great thanks :thumbsup:

Back