Air conditioning compressor

damo1023

Emissions Technician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hey all I'm looking for a replacement ac compressor. Obviously I know I can pay uber bucks and get one from vw.
However has anyone had any success finding an aftermarket or re conditioned unit?
Mines self destructed around the pulley luckily I noticed the noise quickly and investigated it. Looks like it wasn't before time as this would have easily taken the cambelt out.Can't a thread without pics... have a good new year all I know what I'm doing come January 20211231_134031.jpg

20211231_134025.jpg

Last edited:
thats battered !!!

there are a few different models by the looks of it.

Have a look here?

1640963198315.png

1640963262275.png

or try the bay for a 2nd hander:

1640963325543.png

Thanks @Dellmassive autodoc was what I was thinking of. I haven't ordered from there yet. Anyone got any experience of them?
I'm not a huge fan of 2nd hand items as more often than not they haven't been treated in the right way when stored.

trickiest bit will be to make sure you get the right one !!!

number on side of the old one to compare . . .

1640963948514.png

1640963960236.png

post your van spec and AC compressor details when you get them . .

it will help others in future. .

Will do I am all for passing the information on. Feel quite lucky that I have access to an ac machine and the f gas certification to boot. Makes it a whole lot cheaper

Thanks @Dellmassive autodoc was what I was thinking of. I haven't ordered from there yet. Anyone got any experience of them?
I'm not a huge fan of 2nd hand items as more often than not they haven't been treated in the right way when stored.
Does your van have an under tray? How did the pulley destroy itself? Foreign object caught in it?

Does your van have an under tray? How did the pulley destroy itself? Foreign object caught in it?
No undertray currently. I suspect.its more an old age and possibly a corrosion issue but I'll look more into it when the compressor comes off

Last edited:
Well it's solved eventually. I'm going to strip the compressor down but closer inspection revealed a partial seizure of the compressor. EBay to the rescue after several different compressors not fitting and tps wanting a ransom for a new one.
I'll photo the compressor when I strip it down for anyone interested in the workings inside.

It looks like the shear plate did exactly what it's supposed to do.
100 percent this I'm actually impressed that the belt stayed attached and didn't wipe out several more expensive bits if I'm honest.
All back up and running now it's nice to have efficient demisters back at this time of year.

20220129_104422.jpg

Back