Air Con Service

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've been encouraged to have an air con service carried out when I get my brake fluid changed. My van is just over 3 years old with 24000 miles on the clock. The brake fluid change.....I get that....given the cost of ABS pumps etc, I'd consider it essential and very reasonable at £69. The aircon service though.....hmmmm. That one is I think £150. I'm not sure if it's value for money or indeed worth doing. I don't use the air con much which I know is a bad thing but I just don't feel the need. Has anyone had one done.....is it worth doing or is it just an example of the dealer doing some upselling? I have the extended warranty and don't want them dodging a claim for an air con problem if it isn't serviced.
Thoughts ladies and gents????
MD:thumbsup:

If it was me, I think I'd be inclined to forego the Air Con service - it's just a recharge isn't it? You can get your air con recharged for like 50 quid.

Vw quoted me £80.00 when in last service but as only 2 years old at the time with 10,000 on clock i took a chance and left it,as like you don’t use it a lot.
Since speaking to my friend who is an Air con engineer he said its a complete waste of time! He did tell me though to put the air con on though once a week just for a minute or so!
Any air con engineers on here that can back this up?

Yeah I think if it needs a recharge then it’s leaking, so ask them if they’re saying it’s actually got a problem

Thanks gents.....I don't think I'll bother with the aircon service but something tells me the guy that quoted me got the prices mixed up because £69 seems dirt cheap for a brake fluid change and £150 seems like a lot for an aircon service!

Vw quoted me £80.00 when in last service but as only 2 years old at the time with 10,000 on clock i took a chance and left it,as like you don’t use it a lot.
Since speaking to my friend who is an Air con engineer he said its a complete waste of time! He did tell me though to put the air con on though once a week just for a minute or so!
Any air con engineers on here that can back this up?
I believe that if you don’t use it the seals dry up

My A/c is not working. Its still in warranty, just about. When I called Vw to book it in to be looked at, they said if it has not had the service, thats what they would do first, before seeing if there is a problem.
If its a leak, then the re-gas would see it out until the warranty expires, so I didn`t bother.

Back