Aftermarket reversing-camera wiring

Aquarianmonkey

VIP Member
Hi all, pulling out my hair here. I have an after market camera kit that works as it should off a battery with a 12v trigger as if from a reverse light. The VW setup is alien to me. I have run the cabling from rear to the front left A post as instructed but not sure if the wiring needs to go elsewhere due to the canbus setup. Also in running the cable to behind the glove box, the airbag light is now on even though I was extra careful removing the side panel.
I need a 12v+ on the ignition, a 12v-, and a 12v+ trigger on reverse. HELP it’s twisting my melons man

The best place for +12v is to piggyback from another fuse in the fuse box under the gearstick. There should be an OEM earth stud under the carpet in the wheel arch area by the glovebox. +12v on reverse is commonly taken from the green/black reverse light feed in the rear cluster. This can sometimes cause issues because of the way VW turn the power on and off to the lights. It can be overcome with a mosfet relay or changing the coding to turnoff PWM on the reverse lights.

Removing the side panel has not caused the airbag light to come on, turning the ignition on whilst it’s removed has caused the error. This will need to be reset with VCDS, carista or something similar.

+1 for what @Deaky said. This is how my aftermarket reversing camera is wired in, its supplied by a 12v feed from the fuseboard trigger by the reverse feed using a relay.

VIP membership will give you access to the fuse card layout to help you see which fuses do what.

+1 for what @Deaky said. This is how my aftermarket reversing camera is wired in, its supplied by a 12v feed from the fuseboard trigger by the reverse feed using a relay.

VIP membership will give you access to the fuse card layout to help you see which fuses do what.
What is relay for ? Sorry if daft question but electric not my strong point,also how do you wire in relay to reverse green/black cable is it just a case of cutting wire then putting relay in the green/black cable.
I only ask as recently had aftermarket wireless camera fitted and was no mention from fitter off fitting a relay, and my screen keeps flashing blue when I’m driving
thanks
Paul

Back