Aftermarket heated seats

Dave F

VIP Member
T6 Guru
It's snowing in Whitley bay and my lovely wife is on my back about getting our heated seats wired up. The trouble is I don't have a clue where to start. It's a Euro 5 T6 and the seats are from a t5 and are genuine vw heated seats. The van is converted and the 2nd battery is under the drivers seat along with a box that was required because it is a T6 and it was needed so it could recharge?. It would be fantastic to have the genuine switches in the centre of the heating controls or if it is easier just a switch on the side of each seat. Anyone around Whitley bay that can help me with imyhis problem.

If the heating elements are in and you are planning to use the leisure battery under the seat for a power supply then it shouldn't be too difficult to get it wired in
Getting the OE buttons on the dash is not really an option as they sit in the middle of the heating dials which is part of the AC control unit in the dash and would cost several hundred to change for a new unit with the buttons in so switches fitted locally on the seat would be the way to go

If the heating elements are in and you are planning to use the leisure battery under the seat for a power supply then it shouldn't be too difficult to get it wired in
Getting the OE buttons on the dash is not really an option as they sit in the middle of the heating dials which is part of the AC control unit in the dash and would cost several hundred to change for a new unit with the buttons in so switches fitted locally on the seat would be the way to go
If I wanted to take it from a switch supply so when the ignition is off the seats will be off so if we forget to switch them off they don't drain the battery where could I get it from. Also there is a connection point under each seat can I still get a lead that will plug in or will I need to cut it off and replace it. Thanks

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

This is the box that is inder the drivers seat along with the 2nd battery and this is the connection for the heated seats?.

It's possible, you would need to use a relay with an ignition live on the feed for the seats, coming out the end of the charger is a small red/black cable, the red connects to an ignition live so you should have one under there already that could be used,

If you give me the part number of the plug I can send you the part number of the mating connector if required or you could just cut the plug off and join onto it ?

It's possible, you would need to use a relay with an ignition live on the feed for the seats, coming out the end of the charger is a small red/black cable, the red connects to an ignition live so you should have one under there already that could be used,

If you give me the part number of the plug I can send you the part number of the mating connector if required or you could just cut the plug off and join onto it ?

Thanks for your help. would there be any chance you could send me a small diagram of the wiring and parts I will need to get it sorted. Or is there a kit I can get with it all in?. I don't mind doing it but have no idea of what to get.

Not really on the parts front as it would depend on your setup ie what's been fitted where and how things have been connected to know exactly what you would need etc etc but happy to go through the basic wiring layout with you although I would say if your not sure/confident then getting and auto electrician to wire it in for you would be worth consideration ?

Not really on the parts front as it would depend on your setup ie what's been fitted where and how things have been connected to know exactly what you would need etc etc but happy to go through the basic wiring layout with you although I would say if your not sure/confident then getting and auto electrician to wire it in for you would be worth consideration ?
I think that sounds like the best idea. Do you have any on the forum from Newcastle area you could recommend.

Did you manage to make them work I, if so how did you do it in the end?
I am looking to find a auto electronics that is close to me and is willing to do it. I will post when and how it was done.

It looks like the seat plug is three wires, if you take the feed from the red small wire that is in the CTEK unit, (that is an ignition +ve) to one of the wires in the plug via a simple 12v rocker switch, and take the other wire to earth, the same place the black line goes from the CTEK unit, and it should work! Reverse the wires if it doesn’t.

That’s what I would do anyway.

Oh, and attach the CTEK unit to something solid, don’t want it battering around under your seat.

It looks like the seat plug is three wires, if you take the feed from the red small wire that is in the CTEK unit, (that is an ignition +ve) to one of the wires in the plug via a simple 12v rocker switch, and take the other wire to earth, the same place the black line goes from the CTEK unit, and it should work! Reverse the wires if it doesn’t.

Oh, and attach the CTEK unit to something solid, don’t want it battering around under your seat.
Thanks for your help. Will I still need relay and fuse.

I have 2 brown 1 red and 1 black from the seat. Any chance you can do a little drawing if wiring so I can understand it better. Thanks

Hi.

Oh, and attach the CTEK unit to something solid, don’t want it battering around under your seat.[/QUOT
Hi. Going to have s look at the heated seats this weekend. I got a heated seat kit loom with switches and relay just won't use pads. Can I just confirm that the small red wire that is connected to the ctek unit is a switched live and that I connect the other wire to the brown wire that is marked -. So when I switch ignition off it will all go off and won't keep draining the leisure battery. Thanks

Check with a voltmeter. Go from the red cable to earth without the ignition on. And then turn it on. You should see 12v only when the ignition is on.

Back