Advice re when to tax van

Jennywren

Hi all, we should pick our van up next week. I have asked for the long number from the registration document so i can tax it before we pick it up. They seem reluctant to give me this, just ignore the request each time I ask. When do people usually tax theirs?
Thanks

@Jennywren - I think that's all wrong. Remember tax, RFL, doesn't get carried over on change of keeper these days. If you tax based on current V5 reference number, that will change when the registered keeper is updated, and the tax you paid for may get refunded to the current registered keeper, and the van would become untaxed as you take ownership. I'd wait until you pickup at the dealer, or when you get home and tax it after the keeper has been updated online.

@Jennywren - I think that's all wrong. Remember tax, RFL, doesn't get carried over on change of keeper these days. If you tax based on current V5 reference number, that will change when the registered keeper is updated, and the tax you paid for may get refunded to the current registered keeper, and the van would become untaxed as you take ownership. I'd wait until you pickup at the dealer, or when you get home and tax it after the keeper has been updated online.
Thanks for this, it’s ok though. I have taxed it, they sent me a copy of the new keeper slip. I just wanted to do as much as possible before collecting it as there will be so much to do on the day we pick the ban up.

Back