Advice on fitting a rear spoiler

denz1968

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all

I did a search and found nothing that was definitive

Does anyone have a documented process for fitting an aftermarket rear spoiler?
Video or written is fine.

Spoiler is ordered along with sikaflex 221

Thanks

I did exactly as per video using sikaflex Not had any problems what so ever
Thanks both of you. I had seen this one.

My only question was around the fact the supplier told me today that i should rough both bonding surfaces with wet and dry. The video doesn't show that if I recall correctly.

Also what masking tape to use?

Cheers

Hi all

I did a search and found nothing that was definitive

Does anyone have a documented process for fitting an aftermarket rear spoiler?

This has a fair bit of info, in case it didn’t appear in your search

This has a fair bit of info, in case it didn’t appear in your search
Thanks

No need to rough up …. When you get the spoiler dry place it …. You will feel there’s only one place for it to seat

Not sure I agree with no need. I would at least scuff the spoiler.

Thanks both of you. I had seen this one.

My only question was around the fact the supplier told me today that i should rough both bonding surfaces with wet and dry. The video doesn't show that if I recall correctly.

Also what masking tape to use?

Cheers
I cleaned the paint surface with alcohol wipes, then sikaflex’d mine on. I luckily discovered a few months later when cleaning the van that the corners looked like they had slightly lifted. So I wiggled the spoiler and it was practically coming off - only held on by a few blobs gripping. I removed it easily by just giving it a tug - really lucky, we were going to go down the motorway that weekend and it may have flown off!

It seems all of the sikaflex bonded to the van paint just fine, but the bond to the paint on the underside of the spoiler did not last, so much so, when I removed it, there was no sikaflex stuck to the spoiler! I took no chances and this time, drilled the skin of the roof, rust proof pain in the hole / on the drilled area. When that dried I squirted sikaflex in the holes, put rubber washers on the otherside of the drilled skin and bolted that sucker on.

Had I sikaflex and bolted it, maybe the bond might have lasted longer, but I definitely will not be trusting just glueing again. Someone could have had a 70mph spoiler flying at them on the motorway and potentially causing an accident!

We would rough up the spoiler and the top of the rear tailgate - this will insure perfect adhesion. This is for bonding only. We don’t screw ours down as well. We’ve fitted hundreds like this with no issues.

We would rough up the spoiler and the top of the rear tailgate - this will insure perfect adhesion. This is for bonding only. We don’t screw ours down as well. We’ve fitted hundreds like this with no issues.
If I could go back in time I would do this. The fresh paint on the spoiler may have caused the problem, as it was only painted a day before fitting, and as I mentioned when it came off, there was zero sikaflex on the underside of the spoiler but all of it that I put on the spoiler before attaching had transferred and stuck to the van roof. I chose not to rough it up, as in my head I didn’t want to wreck the paint if I ever wanted to remove it. But that was a mistake.

The alcohol wipes were enough to get a good bond on the old paint on the body, I couldn’t get the stuff off! I then roughed up the bottom of the spoiler, added more and bolted it down. I hated drilling the van but I like the spoiler look and for my own peace of mind having it already come loose once, I know if any bond fails its still got an insurance policy in the bolts, I was paranoid after it failing once so just rather belt and braces than potentially cause an accident by it flying off.

I’ve used sikaflex before to bond on body parts to my TVR (headlights and rear lights etc) and it works really well. But for whatever reason, it did not like the spoiler paint.

Thanks. So just some fine wet and dry?

Apart from obviously making the van loads faster..., does a rear spoiler have any benefits such as changing the airflow enough to keep wiper-less rear glass any cleaner from road spray?

Excuse the kids toys. I’m not planning on drilling but using adhesive
The question I’m asking is; do I use the foam inserts with the adhesive?
My guess is that they would be for a drill seal ?
Thoughts please

IMG_9798.jpeg

IMG_9799.jpeg

Back