Adventure Van

Hi.. @P20 …Looks very nice :thumbsup: Can’t see that it’s got a CD player :eek: Is it a problem not having one…..Also what Is the hight of that Aerial as I’m looking for the lowest profile available as I’ve restricted hight access….Thanks :)

@VanDamMan. What's a CD Player?
Well there’s a question…it seems the automotive industry as well as Entertainment industry have not got a clue either :eek: …if you compare how you play your music on the move ( not radio/dab ) today.. You might need to pay subscriptions for an APP or down load to a media device ( phone ) that has costs + monthly payments…..Music has got more expensive to buy and play…
Compact Discs players where cheap ……Is it progress that we are expected to be tethered to the internet and pay twice…once to buy your music and second to play it…..Good Question..but you knew the answer :laugh::laugh:

@VanDamMan. OK, I remember them now.
@P20. Am I right in thinking that there is only one USB input and nothing else (ie. a card slot)? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Hi, ref adventure vans, kayaks etc....

I have developed a new roofrack system which is a side loader. Originally I designed it for the California but it is probably better suited to a Transporter because of having weight on top of the pop-top. I have also designed brackets for most load types including roof boxes.

Here is a photo of it installed on my California with two ski-boxes on. It is easy to remove all the equipment because this is done at the side of the van. The roof boxes have easy access (as you can see from the photo) and would be ideal for keeping wet suits or tents out of the van.

With this set-up two kayaks and the ski-box are an easy set-up.

message me if you would like some more info...

John

IMG_6631.JPG

Hi, ref adventure vans, kayaks etc....

I have developed a new roofrack system which is a side loader. Originally I designed it for the California but it is probably better suited to a Transporter because of having weight on top of the pop-top. I have also designed brackets for most load types including roof boxes.

Here is a photo of it installed on my California with two ski-boxes on. It is easy to remove all the equipment because this is done at the side of the van. The roof boxes have easy access (as you can see from the photo) and would be ideal for keeping wet suits or tents out of the van.

With this set-up two kayaks and the ski-box are an easy set-up.

message me if you would like some more info...

John

View attachment 137472
Clever bit of engineering! I think your ability to address roofbar, roof rack and roof box issues could keep you busy! A nice little sideline in the making?!!!

@P20. I for one would be interested in some more feedback on that Pioneer once you've used it a bit as I've stopped even bothering to look at availability of the Kenwood DMX8020.
I was looking at the Kenwood too, but lack availability resulted in the pioneer. It was going in for the aerial and tracker, so opted for the Pioneer to get it all done in one go.

@VanDamMan. OK, I remember them now.
@P20. Am I right in thinking that there is only one USB input and nothing else (ie. a card slot)? That would be a deal breaker for me.
Only one usb, no cd, no sd slot. The Pioneer 9200 which I believe is an older unit has all of those features.
It is using the dash mounted usb

Hi.. @P20 …Looks very nice :thumbsup: Can’t see that it’s got a CD player :eek: Is it a problem not having one…..Also what Is the hight of that Aerial as I’m looking for the lowest profile available as I’ve restricted hight access….Thanks :)
All of our music is either stored on our phones or on Spotify. I don’t think this unit will support my old iPod classic either, but I haven’t used that in the vans for years. The phones connect via usb (dash), Bluetooth or the head units WiFi.
Aerial is 3” tall. I’m guessing if your asking about CDs you didn’t want it in mm :slow rofl:

Its like the Karitek. I originally developed it from the Sherpas Combi Translift which was made years ago.

I have spent at least half a Camper van developing this, but it has kept me sane through lockdown.

I see so many vans with roof boxes on that never get removed. With my system you can easily remove the box in a matter of minutes back to the bare cross-rails, (which are aerodynamic), and if you have roof-track (like California), then I have a system for removing the roofrack completely by slackening off a few bolts. Re-assembly is the reverse with no re-alignment needed.

Aerodynamics can be significant and the associated costs are usually ignored - so the ability to remove and re-assemble easily is a bonus.

I have trialled it with Kayaks and bikes as well. Ladders, paddle boards and surf boards are also easily accommodated.

It is called "Kombi-rak"

I will PM details.

John
IMG_6860.JPG

Interesting rack. I’ve got a Karitek on my T5, but I’d be interested in a more low profile option for the next van. Can you pm me some details?

I told you that things might get busy for you with your roof rack mods! I’m always a bit in awe of engineering folk and how they come up with solutions.

Just thought i would throw my experience with the Kombi-rak in here. Before i bought my van 3 years ago,i had a Shogun Sport that we used to lift a Canadian Canoe on to and go pike fishing a lot. We used to bash the car frequently with the canoe as it weighs 52kg and is a bit awkward. The Shogun was built like a tank so it literally done nothing but as i am sure everyone on here knows,the T6...not so much and also eye wateringly expensive,so to say i wasn't keen on hitting the van with the canoe would be an understatement to say the least! Before i even bought the van,i knew i wanted to fit a Karitek roofrack to continue using the canoe as before,that is until i mentioned it on here and John got in touch and described his Kombi-rak. As soon as i heard about the design having more aerodynamic bars,looking better and being available in black,i said i was interested and we kept in touch. John supplied my black Kombi-rak mid November and we tried it with the canoe on and also with a couple of Thule bike carriers on but due to my fishing buddies work commitments,today is the first time we have actually got out fishing and tested the Kombi-rak out properly and it worked a treat. Being able to lift a 52kg canoe on to the roof of my van without worrying about smacking it all the time is a massive winner for me. I am not affiliated with John or his Kombi-rak in any way but if anyone is in the market for this type of thing then i would definitely recommend having a look at it,oh and by the way,please excuse the state of the van,it's not usually as dirty as that....honest!

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

Just thought i would throw my experience with the Kombi-rak in here. Before i bought my van 3 years ago,i had a Shogun Sport that we used to lift a Canadian Canoe on to and go pike fishing a lot. We used to bash the car frequently with the canoe as it weighs 52kg and is a bit awkward. The Shogun was built like a tank so it literally done nothing but as i am sure everyone on here knows,the T6...not so much and also eye wateringly expensive,so to say i wasn't keen on hitting the van with the canoe would be an understatement to say the least! Before i even bought the van,i knew i wanted to fit a Karitek roofrack to continue using the canoe as before,that is until i mentioned it on here and John got in touch and described his Kombi-rak. As soon as i heard about the design having more aerodynamic bars,looking better and being available in black,i said i was interested and we kept in touch. John supplied my black Kombi-rak mid November and we tried it with the canoe on and also with a couple of Thule bike carriers on but due to my fishing buddies work commitments,today is the first time we have actually got out fishing and tested the Kombi-rak out properly and it worked a treat. Being able to lift a 52kg canoe on to the roof of my van without worrying about smacking it all the time is a massive winner for me. I am not affiliated with John or his Kombi-rak in any way but if anyone is in the market for this type of thing then i would definitely recommend having a look at it,oh and by the way,please excuse the state of the van,it's not usually as dirty as that....honest!

View attachment 139839

View attachment 139840

View attachment 139841

View attachment 139842

View attachment 139843
Great review - thanks for taking the time to post

View attachment 139839

View attachment 139840

View attachment 139841

View attachment 139842

View attachment 139843
very cool

Thule Omnistor awning fitted. Crucially the Thule slidebars clear the housing.
It’s taken since ordering it last summer to finally get this delivered earlier this month. It’s the latest version 4200.

Looking forward to use it

48B55D2B-92BF-4F76-9A8D-131E2828B480.jpeg

31EFE7CC-4C75-42BB-9ECE-850A0C5E0CCC.jpeg

093DE356-792C-44BD-8C8B-2C2CD83F78D7.jpeg

A1373244-CF8B-4FB4-A825-B579770DE194.jpeg

Thule Omnistor awning fitted. Crucially the Thule slidebars clear the housing.
It’s taken since ordering it last summer to finally get this delivered earlier this month. It’s the latest version 4200.

Looking forward to use it

View attachment 151009

View attachment 151010

View attachment 151011

View attachment 151012

Just had the same fitted to mine.

Just wondering if you have had a rubber seal fitted to the back between the van and the awning to prevent rain? If so which one/size?

Back