Additional Headlight cables - OEM?

Unclebob

Australian member
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I found these cables terminated next to the battery, each pair crimped together. This looks like some aftermarket work that has been removed.
PXL_20230627_022343532.jpg

The yellow/yellow stripe and blue/blue stripe go across to the headlight unit connection on the drivers side (I assume these are spliced into the main loom here)
PXL_20230627_022332639.jpg

, the other 2 pairs head down under the passenger side headlight unit somewhere

Can anybody shed some light on what they may be for? I can confirm cutting them causes the light blown warning lamp to come on :) but there's no (or very minimal) voltage across the cables once cut. Is the van smart enough to cut power to a blown bulb?

This van used to belong to the government as part of a car appreciation photography unit (speed camera)

For context, I'm looking for somewhere to splice into the high beams to install a light bar, I was hoping this may be it, but I can't think why you'd run the cable across the van just to loop it back.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes :) there's no voltage between negative and the cable because the cables are the negative feed. Adding my relay between the green pair and positive terminal of the battery works.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes :) there's no voltage between negative and the cable because the cables are the negative feed. Adding my relay between the green pair and positive terminal of the battery works.
And now I'm just confused. This works when the headlights are on (turning on the high beams turns on the relay), but then when I turn my ignition off, the relay turns on and stays on which sounds like a good way to flatten a battery :(

If its ex police they could have things to keep lights flashing with the engine off maybe ?

Not police here, private contractors - literally all they do is take photos of speeding cars but yeah they flash the lights when setting up/packing up (for safety or something?) so that would make sense.

I think I was on the right track (the green is half of what I need) but needed to pick up a positive from the same loom.

I've discovered that the amarok high beam piggy back adaptors work for the T6 so I've ordered one of of those and I've just re-connected these.

Back