Adding Solar: what type / size cable / glands etc?

Northencampervan

VIP Member
Hi,
Currently considering adding solar.
On the van already -

• RSCDC30 with MPPT built in. Mounted under drivers seat.
  • 110ah Battery Under Passengers Seat
  • EC155 Sargent charger unit
  • SCA Pop top

I assume all I need is a Flexy solar panel, correct glands and an inline fuse?

With that in mind
  • Any panel recommendations
  • What panel size - Usual fridge running, lights no invertor. We live in the north....
  • Cable sizes
  • Fuse size
Thanks in advance!

You’ll find that quite a few members have had flexi panels with short lives.
I‘ve had a Photonic Universe Ltd panel, installed on a Reimo GRP roof painted in Reflex Silver (cool in summer) for 5 years without any issues.

I‘ve had a Photonic Universe Ltd panel, installed on a Reimo GRP roof painted in Reflex Silver (cool in summer) for 5 years without any issues.

For what it's worth I have a photonics universe panel on a Reimo roof which has been running over five years too. Obviously can't read too much into a couple of examples, but those Reimo roofs are very solid which maybe helps keep flex and movement to a minimum, combined with a very robust panel.

Which Specific panel have you used from Photonic Universe? Theres a few including flexi and semi flexi.

Which Specific panel have you used from Photonic Universe? Theres a few including flexi and semi flexi.
I just checked the Photonic Universe site and I don’t see the same panel listed.
Mine is 150w, 1500 x 670mm, textured surface (non reflective). I would say it’s a ‘flexi’ as is 2mm thick as far as I can measure. No visible connector / cabling so completely smooth on the roof, fully bonded as roof is flat.

IMG_2600.jpeg

I just checked the Photonic Universe site and I don’t see the same panel listed.
Mine is 150w, 1500 x 670mm, textured surface (non reflective). I would say it’s a ‘flexi’ as is 2mm thick as far as I can measure. No visible connector / cabling so completely smooth on the roof, fully bonded as roof is flat.

View attachment 199928
Ah I've noticed they do one where the cable exits underneath the panel, should be a much neater fit that way.

Ah I've noticed they do one where the cable exits underneath the panel, should be a much neater fit that way.
Obviously the panels are more efficient now than my 2018 install, I’d go for approx 200w if you have space.

I went bonkers and fitted two of the Renogy 175 watt flexy panels and now have too much electric. :geek:
I think the extra surface area of my upturned bath tub pop top has been an advantage here but the bastids did fit... just.
I wouldn't worry about cables exiting the panel neatly underneath unless it fell right with where the cables came through the roof.
Mine look pretty utilitarian with a couple of grey pvc joint boxes up top to wire the panels in parallel then jump through the roof slightly further back towards the roof hinge then into an isolator in the wardrobe.

You think it's adequate until you realise your two slice toaster sucks 52A at 13.6 volts via your inverter and that puny 1kw fan heater takes 92A.:oops:

What solar panels would you recommend for a t6 none pop top.
prob usage. Tv. Fridge. led lights. Water pump. cooker ignition.
Have just fitted ctek d250se with agm 120amp battery.

Back