Adding Caravelle rails in Kombi

VanMan48

T6 Pro
Sorry if this has been asked already, but has anyone done this? If so what kind of cost was it? Assume it ain't cheap to do!

Just in the process of choosing a van and have found a great high spec kombi which is perfect for conversion, so just wanted to cost up the rails and rnr bed, and then adding a pop roof etc later on.

The rails look like the most expensive element, so didn't know whether its better to try and find a caravelle and then convert that, but appreciate caravelles aren't cheap either!

Sorry if this has been asked already, but has anyone done this? If so what kind of cost was it? Assume it ain't cheap to do!

Just in the process of choosing a van and have found a great high spec kombi which is perfect for conversion, so just wanted to cost up the rails and rnr bed, and then adding a pop roof etc later on.

The rails look like the most expensive element, so didn't know whether its better to try and find a caravelle and then convert that, but appreciate caravelles aren't cheap either!
I've done it where about in the country are you ? Anywhere near oxford
A set of double rails with new covers will cost around £1000 make sure the bolts come with them.
Fitting at vwvc t5 oxford £350 and a additional £90 for brackets
Then you need a floor is it single or double sliders?
And plastic thresholds around £90 each and new caravelle light, colin from oxford supplied and fitted step and light wired for £95
You will need 2 steps if double slider and 1 rear hatch threshold.
What seat bed you going for ? caravelle triple with multi board is a option

image.jpeg I had mine done by another company, but got the seats from Colin in Oxford, he is a top bloke and a great go to for this conversion. I looked into the Caravelle, but as I wanted barn doors it was not an option. Also, if you are looking at a pop top, the Caravelle has a lot of roof plastics which needs carving up to fit a roof. I was told that if you want a pop top, it's cheaper to fit rails to a Kombi and add a pop top, than fit a pop top to a Caravelle. I love the rails, as I have a luxury four seater, or a two seater Transporter, or a Luxury six seater. I can clip in a cooker, fridge , loo, table etc. You are doing the right thing getting a Kombi IMHO. Hope that helps.

Ha,if by magic..
Really dont like the cheapo piano hinge..simple and yes do the job but must be something nicer to use?

Also, have they lost all over head heating ducts for 2nd / 3rd row.. where have they been directed too, if there were any?.

I would defenatly buy a caravelle tomorrow and get vandoc to fit a Hilo to it would of saved me a lot of hassle converting the kombi,
Rails are in no having to source descent rails
No road trip to oxford to get fitted
no lining or insulating to do
No seats to find
No caravelle floor to fit
Why wouldn't you go for a caravelle and fit the Hilo ?

Last edited:
Ha,if by magic..
Really dont like the cheapo piano hinge..simple and yes do the job but must be something nicer to use?

Also, have they lost all over head heating ducts for 2nd / 3rd row.. where have they been directed too, if there were any?.
Took some finding ;)

I would defenatly buy a caravelle tomorrow and get vandoc to fit a Hilo to it would of saved me a lot of hassle converting the kombi,
Rails are in no having to source descent rails
No road trip to oxford to get fitted
no lining or insulating to do
No seats to find
No caravelle floor to fit
Why wouldn't you go for a caravelle and fit the Hilo ?
Because the journey was half the fun :D, the finished job is your customization project and not something bought off the order book like all others :thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:

Because the journey was half the fun :D, the finished job is your customization project and not something bought off the order book like all others :thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:
True m8 and it's cheaper to do yourself but im a fussy bugger and it's got to be right and I've had some head scratching on this conversion long nights doing the figures.
But would defiantly have a caravelle with a Hilo and a multipod all day long :thumbsup:

Last edited:
True m8 and it's cheaper to do yourself but im a fussy bugger and it's got to be right and I've had some head scratching on this conversion long nights doing the figures.
But would defiantly have a caravelle with a Hilo and a multipod all day long :thumbsup:
But presumably if money is not an issue :confused:.

Back