AdBlue top-up issue (merge)

Fingers crossed your sorted. We’ve just driven 70 miles most of which up M1 no change to eml . Countdown on 450 miles now . No performance issues so far.

Hi @mmi
Just a update on my van its been in to VW today for more diagnostics they are now saying it need a new adblue pump and injector
Whats your thoughts on replacing them ?

Im in dispute with them over the cost as I've already paid out to get it fixed but now they are saying its going to cost more to repair but they haven't given me a price yet

i can see that its a easy job to replace them as i might do it my self if they are charging to much do you know if i would have to bleed the adblue through with VCDS ? on test

Thanks Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
they are now saying it need a new adblue pump and injector
Whats your thoughts on replacing them ?
Would have been interesting to hear how they came to conclusion that there iare two failed components.
Let's hope replacing these will solve the issue.

if i would have to bleed the adblue through with VCDS ? on test
The workshop states only
Code:
Adapt SCR system learnt values ⇒ Vehicle diagnostic tester,
01 - Systems capable of self-diagnosis ,
01 - Diesel direction injection and preglow system EDC 17 ,
01 - Engine electronics functions ,
01 - Adapting SCR system learnt values

I guess the above in VCDS equals to
Engine > Basic Settings > IDE10239-Resetting teach-in values of reduction agent sys.:comp.change.

Never tried that but VCDS should tell what to do in it's info-field - something similar as these below when running another function
1687532259587.png
1687532292753.png

The tec did say it wasn’t dosing the right amount of Adblue on test
but I would put my money on that being the pump not the injector as well

Reactions: mmi
Vehicle going in to dealer tomorrow. Just completed the express check in and noticed in summary it said ELSA Check completed No Action Required . What does that mean? Recall outstanding list?

UPDATE…….

Went in this morning got it back this afternoon all fixed. I ask the Service Person what it was….”oh it was the fuse gone” oh I say that’s surprising she says “yes it was gone as in gone not blown but missing” ……… Oh gawwwwd I immediately go back in my head to the day before the fault when I was looking for the fuse for 12V socket which was blown (found under passenger seat why there I never know??) I must have removed the AdBlue system fuse and put it back in the wrong slot .

I played it cool with my best poker face rushing to get my card out the wallet and pay the £69 fee and get the hell out of there with my dignity gone , ego well assaulted and MrsD looking at me in the way wives do that you can actually hear her think T$&t !!

-100 Man points

:(

Have you found the mpg the same with it mapped out
Cos when the 650 warning ⚠️ light on it drinks diesel like I drink beer on a weekend by the barrel
Hi Drew. Sorry for not replying….just getting some weeks of driving to check the MPG. Having given it 3 weeks with 2 fill ups I can say that the mpg is same as before. I’m not the most ‘economic’ of drivers with 20’s and 275/40 tyres so I’m sure it would be slightly more.

the main thing is NO MORE ADBLUE!!!!!!

good luck everyone with any issues but if you start to get issues, the chances are they will return and be expensive

Rob

Hi Drew. Sorry for not replying….just getting some weeks of driving to check the MPG. Having given it 3 weeks with 2 fill ups I can say that the mpg is same as before. I’m not the most ‘economic’ of drivers with 20’s and 275/40 tyres so I’m sure it would be slightly more.

the main thing is NO MORE ADBLUE!!!!!!

good luck everyone with any issues but if you start to get issues, the chances are they will return and be expensive

Rob
Thanks for your reply and advice I’m going to do a few checks but I’m not going to throw a load of money at the adblue so looks like it might get deleted but at the moment the light is not on I’m holding off just in case Vw have fixed it by doing tests on it it’s a long shot but you never know
I’m sure the light will come back on

Have you found the mpg the same with it mapped out
Cos when the 650 warning ⚠️ light on it drinks diesel like I drink beer on a weekend by the barrel
See my recent post about Dave Tec in the Trade / Forum Supporters section. Had my 2018 van from new and 5 years on and off of Adblue and EML issues relating to EGR valve (cleaned twice and eventually replaced by VW under warranty) and Adblue level sensor. The problems continued, and Chris has sorted it finally.

Hi do you mean this post ?

Just a short post to pass on my thanks to Chris for his EGR and Adblue solution which he applied to my 2018 van last week. I’ve had trouble with both since new and VW never quite got it sorted. I’ve kept an eye on the forum for 5 years of problems folk were having and then my turn came for the ‘600 miles to no engine start’ message to display. The remap has transformed my 102 van. I live in Cumbria and the constant up and down gear changing between the gears has been reduced dramatically around the lanes. A 300 mile motorway trip has seen mpg increase by about 2mpg as well. Good crack as well with Chris, thanks for the cake! Recommended.

Hi Mmi
I’ve tried to test the Adblue injector today but it looks like my VCDS is to old doesn’t have the function to do so but I removed the injector
but what I did find was there was NO Adblue at the injector when I removed the dosing pipe it was dry and no crystallising there at all
so maybe it could be the pump ?

Hi do you mean this post ?

Just a short post to pass on my thanks to Chris for his EGR and Adblue solution which he applied to my 2018 van last week. I’ve had trouble with both since new and VW never quite got it sorted. I’ve kept an eye on the forum for 5 years of problems folk were having and then my turn came for the ‘600 miles to no engine start’ message to display. The remap has transformed my 102 van. I live in Cumbria and the constant up and down gear changing between the gears has been reduced dramatically around the lanes. A 300 mile motorway trip has seen mpg increase by about 2mpg as well. Good crack as well with Chris, thanks for the cake! Recommended.
Yep, that’s the one

there was NO Adblue at the injector when I removed the dosing pipe it was dry and no crystallising there at all
Document - VW Service Training, Self-study Programme 424: Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment System, Selective Catalytic Reduction, Design and Function - states the following:

The pump for reducing agent's tasks differ depending on the position to which the reversing valve is switched:
  • When the ignition is switched on and the operating conditions for the SCR system are met, the pump delivers the reducing agent from the tank to the injector at a pressure of approx. 5 bar.
  • When the diesel engine is switched off, it pumps the reducing agent out of the delivery line from the injector and back into the tank.
Thus, quite possible it's the same on T6 - AdBlue is drained at engine shut-off.

maybe it could be the pump ?
What does VCDS report for measurement value
IDE10241 Reducing agent pump module relative press.: calculated​
IDE10921 Reducing agent delivery pump: number of strokes​
It takes a few minutes driving before the pressure start to build up.

If your problem is anything like I’ve just experienced over the past 18 months it’s a nightmare.
Light comes on, light goes off, light comes on, dashboard lights up like Christmas and then goes off, Adblue error, no engine restart after 650 miles even though the dash had 6000 mile range of adblue showing.
Pop some diesel in as I was running low, hop back in the van and all the lights are off.
6 visits to VW garages over 18months, some faults found, repairs carried out under warranty and it changes nothing.
8 -10 week wait for VW SERVICE slot in the garage is an absolute joke

Back