ACC....turning off the "A" feature??

Dannyb6467

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Am i missing something....Can the active part of this be turned off?
I engage CC and then when approaching another car the van slows. I know this can be adjusted for distance but can it be turned off in a setting somewhere??

I know @Loz said no but I have ACC on the Jag and only noticed a few weeks ago that if I long press the button to reduce the distance it switches off follow mode.
Probably won’t work on VW bit it’s worth a try.

@Lord Mfwic good suggestion, was intriguing, just tried it, didn't work.
Out of interest, what would be the benefit of turning it off?
It can be a bit of a nuisance, especially when the roads are busy.
Personally I don’t like it as I feel it slows you to early, even on the closest setting.
Plus if you pull out to overtake and you’re a bit close to the car in the lane you just joined, it will hit the brakes. This can cause further annoyance to car behind that you just cut up and trigger even more gestures and blood boiling. Fortunately, the Jag has good sound deadening and ICE so I can bearly hear the horn that’s blasting at my rear bumper and as I never look in my mirror, I have no idea what gestures are being aimed at me.
However, with follow mode turned off, I can bumper biff the car in front as well. This causes a great light display of flashing red in front of me and bright white behind. It’s like being at a jean michel jarre concert.

Last edited:
have you tried the "shortest-distance" setting . . . ?

that's fairly close for my liking and always find myself going for the break peddle before it kicks in.

my prefered setting is 3 or 4 bars up. (depending on road conditions)

and right at the top is its bad weather like rain or fog.

1612428952316.png

Personally I don’t like it as I feel it slows you to early, even on the closest setting.
Plus if you pull out to overtake and you’re a bit close to the car in the lane you just joined, it will hit the brakes. This can cause further annoyance to car behind that you just cut up and trigger even more gestures and blood boiling. Fortunately, the Jag has good sound deadening and ICE so I can bearly hear the horn that’s blasting at my rear bumper and as I never look in my mirror, I have no idea what gestures are being aimed at me.
However, with follow mode turned off, I can bumper biff the car in front as well. This causes a great light display of flashing red in front of me and bright white behind. It’s like being at a jean michel jarre concert.
Did you hone your skills in a BMW?

I find it makes strange decisions...
Couldn't have put it better myself. Its a nuisance!!

I find it makes strange decisions...

Couldn't have put it better myself. Its a nuisance!!
+1!

It used to wind me up when some git pulls into the lane just in front of you and it slams on the anchors. Increasing the risk of a possible accident when the guy already driving too close behind you piles into the back! (I like working from home :) )

I have ACC on my BMW and understand the Lane changing annoyance, especially when it decides to brake instead of accelerate. One way I overcome this is apply the accelerator manually, even just softly to temporarily disable ACC. This enables me to control the speed and distance without ACC interrupting, just for the short moment. Once I stop the manual acceleration ACC just kicks in again. Not sure if this works the same in VW.

Had it on my Tiguan, and once the novelty had worn off I too used to find it a bit annoying.
I found it had the effect of pushing you backwards. You’d have a gap in front of you, someone would pull into said gap, car would slow down to create another gap, another car pulls into new gap and the whole process would start again, effectively pushing you backwards.

Am i missing something....Can the active part of this be turned off?
I engage CC and then when approaching another car the van slows. I know this can be adjusted for distance but can it be turned off in a setting somewhere??

I've not got it, so can't test this, but what happens if you untick Front Assist in the MFD?

I've not got it, so can't test this, but what happens if you untick Front Assist in the MFD?
It allows you to run into the back of someone or run over a child in a carpark!

Yeah agree, generally it's pretty good...occasionally there's a need to give it gas when lane changing.. but if your in one lane and cruising along and it annoys you then stop tail gating or overtake.. :p

Thanks for the replies folks...all points taken on board and now I've realised the CC doesn't need resetting if I accelerate to anticipate getting closer to the car in front when overtaking etc...I actually like the "A" bit of it. Having only used CC in Range Rovers and Transits both of which cancel themselves on braking and accelerating its a doddle. ;)

Back