Locking sound on engine startup? Any ideas?

bblake

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue…
For last week or so, on start up I get what sounds like a central locking noise.
On checking if central locking has engaged it turns out doors are all still able to be opened from outside.
Have also noticed that when engaging central locking manually from inside via button next to wing mirrors and window control, when clicking on ‘lock’ the orange light no longer turns on but the van is ‘locked’.
Any ideas on this? I am puzzled by this one!
Cheers

Forgot to add, T6.1 T30 SWB dsg, no major electrical upgrades made. Puzzled!

Could the noise you are hearing be 'unlocking' (even though it is already unlocked) as opposed to locking which might explain why you find the doors still unlocked? I've had this infrequently on other VAG vehicles, but randomly whilst driving, I believe it is due to a dicky lock switch and/or latch adjustment.

strange yours does it whilst cranking however, so another thought is I'm wondering if cranking is dragging your battery voltage down and as a result the body control module is becoming unstable and rebooting or similar. Perhaps stick it on charge to get your battery fully charged and try it?

If you have a 6.1 a potential early sign of battery issues is the start/stop not engaging as normal (because the van isn't confident it can restart quickly) have you noticed any changes?

Voltage drop outs on a start/stop vehicle should be less common as the electronics and dash are supplied through a voltage stabiliser for exactly that reason.

Hey @roadtripper
Start stop has been working no problems and on drive into work this morning all seemed normal.
Van is still under warranty so think I might just give them a call and get it looked at as it’s starting to bug me!
Cheers

Back