AA-Van wiring removal - Tow Bar fault puts van in to limp-mode

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi guys.

Vans booked in for pop top on Wednesday and my vans going into limp mode due to the tow bar being removed (incorrectly) before it went to auction (and then to me)

I need VagCom or something to tell the van it no longer has a tow bar

IMG_6531.jpeg

Last edited:
Trailer module needs un ticking in the module installation list maybe?

can’t see how that would put the van into limp mode though. What are the engine fault codes?

Trailer module needs un ticking in the module installation list maybe?

can’t see how that would put the van into limp mode though. What are the engine fault codes?
Not sure mate. the brakes keep applying and then suddenly releasing and apparently this issue is linked to the tow bar and it not being disconnected properly. Not sure, I didnt see any codes, just got that screenshot.

@Dellmassive @Ads_Essex Can you disable a tow bar using VCDS? I was told I need someone with VAGcom to remove it which is proving difficult as I need it doing today.

Basically I stripped out the wiring when removing existing AA gubbins and now its causing serious elec faults and giving the below error. Im booked in for pop top tomorrow and currently cant use the van as it goes into limp mode and randomly applies the brakes

IMG_6531.jpg

Thank you. I have OBD11 so I can see the 'Module 69' but if I click on it, i just get this error.

I just need t remve it from its brain so it doesnt think its there. Hopefully the above people can help and very desperate man :(

IMG_6535.PNG

Does your conversion company have VCDS? If so, and you're close-enough that you can drive the van there like it is, I'd like to think its a simple case of unticking the trailer module -
Go into the can gateway which is module 19, then into the 'installation list'
once in there you will see all available modules and the ones that are installed will have a tick next to them
so just add a tick next to the trailer module (number 69) then save and exit

Does your conversion company have VCDS? If so, and you're close-enough that you can drive the van there like it is, I'd like to think its a simple case of unticking the trailer module -
They're a bit too far away to drive it in its current state. Its quite dangerous when it loses power. Im hoping if VCDS can sort it, that I can find someone local on here who doesnt mind popping round in exchange for money pennies

The towbar module (69) will need removing from the installation list within the CAN Gateway Module (19)

There are also entries in the following modules that may need to be removed

Engine Module (01)
ABS Module (03)
Park Assist Module (10)

Never heard of a missing module causing the ABS module to apply the brakes or the Engine to go in to limp mode. Could really do with the error codes from these modules.

They're a bit too far away to drive it in its current state. Its quite dangerous when it loses power. Im hoping if VCDS can sort it, that I can find someone local on here who doesnt mind popping round in exchange for money pennies
In that case I'll move your posts to a new standalone thread in the hope someone local sees and is able to pop by..

Ah - I see you've started one already!

The towbar module (69) will need removing from the installation list within the CAN Gateway Module (19)

Engine Module (01)
ABS Module (03)
Park Assist Module (10)

Never heard of a missing module causing the ABS module to apply the brakes or the Engine to go in to limp mode. Could really do with the error codes from these modules.
Cheers Deaky, very helpful information there.

I'll see if I can get the fault codes.

Spoken to Brandon at @AJCConversions who do most of my camper bits (albeit not the pop top tomorrow as im too tight to pay for a good brand ha ha) and fingers crossed he can get out to me tonight! Going above and beyond to help as usual <3

Sorry I must be missing something as I cant see it in that thread? (regarding the trailer module removal)
Sorry - it was just general idea how to add/remove controllers using ODBeleven:

OBDeleven > Control Units > Edit (red pen) > untick the Trailer controller (69) from the list

Sorry - it was just general idea how to add/remove controllers using ODBeleven:

OBDeleven > Control Units > Edit (red pen) > untick the Trailer controller (69) from the list
I'll have a look! thank you

Engine Module (01)
ABS Module (03)
Park Assist Module (10)

IMG_6544.jpegIMG_6545.jpegIMG_6546.jpeg

@mmi i have unticked the box. Done and scan and got the above errors

They suggest a CANBUS error. Was the module you removed aftermarket? How have you removed the canbus connection? Some pictures of where it was and how the wires have been cut/removed might help.

Update …………

Brandon, owner of @AJCConversions in Glossop very kindly took time out of his evening today and came to my house to sort the issue. A few boxes to tick/untick and off I went for a test drive. So far so good!!

I’ll be back at his workshop next year for carpet lining and then back again for kitchen.

He’s certainly one of the good ones who’s not just in it for the money so please consider AJC if you’re looking for a conversion company in the North West. Thanks again Brandon!

Update …………

Brandon, owner of @AJCConversions in Glossop very kindly took time out of his evening today and came to my house to sort the issue. A few boxes to tick/untick and off I went for a test drive. So far so good!!

Great stuff. If ok with you, I've retitled this so other AA Van owners can see what may happen / diagnose if their vans act the same. Any more info that you have on the tow-bar wiring will be beneficial.

.. He’s certainly one of the good ones who’s not just in it for the money so please consider AJC if you’re looking for a conversion company in the North West. Thanks again Brandon!

And as always, a(nother) review always helps businesses that go the extra mile.

Back