A couple of newbie, idiot questions

Muppet

VIP Member
Hi all.
I’m new to the forum and a new owner of a 2019 T6 Trendline T28 102 which has been converted from a panel van to a window van by a dealer. I picked it up yesterday and it’s awesome. I had a couple of early niggles on purchase day though which have left me with some questions!!

1. One of the keys supplied doesn’t work. It’s not the battery so I’m assuming the key needs recoding or something.
Does anyone know how to do this or is it a VW main dealer thing to sort out?

2. There were no manuals / warranty cards / service documents with the vehicle and the dealer I got the off said they didn’t have any. Looks like the van used to be a rental van as there’s a sticker in the glove box telling drivers to look at the online manual or refer to their hire contract.
Does that sound weird or should I not worry about that?

3. The DIS speed being in KMH for the Uk is a proper bore. I see there is a mod which can put a nice large digital speedo (in MPH!) into the DIS but I don’t have the kit to do it. Can anyone recommend someone in Norfolk who could help please??

Any help or thoughts welcome!!

cheers!

Hi all.
I’m new to the forum and a new owner of a 2019 T6 Trendline T28 102 which has been converted from a panel van to a window van by a dealer. I picked it up yesterday and it’s awesome. I had a couple of early niggles on purchase day though which have left me with some questions!!

1. One of the keys supplied doesn’t work. It’s not the battery so I’m assuming the key needs recoding or something.
Does anyone know how to do this or is it a VW main dealer thing to sort out?

2. There were no manuals / warranty cards / service documents with the vehicle and the dealer I got the off said they didn’t have any. Looks like the van used to be a rental van as there’s a sticker in the glove box telling drivers to look at the online manual or refer to their hire contract.
Does that sound weird or should I not worry about that?

3. The DIS speed being in KMH for the Uk is a proper bore. I see there is a mod which can put a nice large digital speedo (in MPH!) into the DIS but I don’t have the kit to do it. Can anyone recommend someone in Norfolk who could help please??

Any help or thoughts welcome!!

cheers!
Number 2.
Call central VW van centre. They can tell you all the service history that was done at a VW garage.

0800 333 66 66

I did this when sleuthing my service history on my van.

Number 2.
Call central VW van centre. They can tell you all the service history that was done at a VW garage.

0800 333 66 66

I did this when sleuthing my service history on my van.
Thanks RunDSG - I’ll give that a go.

3. You can only have the big MPH on Highline and above clocks. I'm guessing that your central display has a digital fuel gauge at the bottom?

My van was missing its handbook so the dealer sent me another one, probably robbed from another vehicle on the forecourt.

They do appear on ebay but are £40 ish. I wonder if the dealers can supply them?

Very similar story to mine. Same vehicle, ex- hire van I think but came with aircon and tailgate. I have mine converted to day van with exploria bed and sliding tray under.
The VW van centre sourced the handbook pack for me after purchase, but there is no service book. It's all logged centrally with VW as has been said.
Did you check whether the Ad Blue software update has been done ? 2019 was on the cusp of the pre-installed update, mine was registered in Jan 2019 but still needed doing to get rid of the EML illumination and error codes.
Enjoy your van, I think it's a great model the T28, very economical, I'm getting around 50mpg.....and its ripe for upgrading externally to make it look like a highline.(fogs, H7 lights etc)

3. You can only have the big MPH on Highline and above clocks. I'm guessing that your central display has a digital fuel gauge at the bottom?
Hi Dubber36
I’ve attached a pic of my clocks. I can cycle through different display options using buttons on the right stalk. I don’t have multi function steering wheel though. Maybe I’ve gone too low spec on my van!!

Sounds like I may have to get used to the rubbish KMH display?!

Attachments

• 2146DF30-51F7-45AF-858E-38A1F4973986.jpeg
    2146DF30-51F7-45AF-858E-38A1F4973986.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 10
My van was missing its handbook so the dealer sent me another one, probably robbed from another vehicle on the forecourt.

They do appear on ebay but are £40 ish. I wonder if the dealers can supply them?
Thanks Paynewright - sounds like a list of things I need to go back to the dealer / VW with!!

Very similar story to mine. Same vehicle, ex- hire van I think but came with aircon and tailgate. I have mine converted to day van with exploria bed and sliding tray under.
The VW van centre sourced the handbook pack for me after purchase, but there is no service book. It's all logged centrally with VW as has been said.
Did you check whether the Ad Blue software update has been done ? 2019 was on the cusp of the pre-installed update, mine was registered in Jan 2019 but still needed doing to get rid of the EML illumination and error codes.
Enjoy your van, I think it's a great model the T28, very economical, I'm getting around 50mpg.....and its ripe for upgrading externally to make it look like a highline.(fogs, H7 lights etc)
Hi sackmycook!
The reason I set my user name in here to muppet is cos apart from knowing I wanted a nice van I know next to nothing about diesels or the world of T6 customisation!
I had no idea it needed an AdBlue update so I’ll have to check! I actually had to ask the dealer what AdBlue was when I collected the van as I was just expecting a hole to stick diesel in, not this weird other hole in the side! (Told you I’m a muppet!!)
The place I got it from have done a nice job on it already - not sure how much further I’ll take customisation as it’s pretty cool already!

Attachments

• D63A5309-3294-4516-AA5D-4BC0F5C25244.jpeg
    D63A5309-3294-4516-AA5D-4BC0F5C25244.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 25
Looks nice, consider an aftermarket foglight kit from Travelin-lite, not much money and lift the front in my opinion.

Watch out for leaks from those roofbars, it's a common fault unless fitted expertly, loads of info on the forum.

20210505_140027.jpg

Looks nice, consider an aftermarket foglight kit from Travelin-lite, not much money and lift the front in my opinion.

Watch out for leaks from those roofbars, it's a common fault unless fitted expertly, loads of info on the forum.

View attachment 116589
That looks nice! I agree on the fog lights point. T6 ownership is going to get expensive I think!!!

Hi Dubber36
I’ve attached a pic of my clocks. I can cycle through different display options using buttons on the right stalk. I don’t have multi function steering wheel though. Maybe I’ve gone too low spec on my van!!

That dash can be coded to show the big MPH dispaly

Hi Dubber36

Might be talking out my rear end here being a newbie but I followed this to change mine to mph...
Nothing to lose trying it & good luck

Might be talking out my rear end here being a newbie but I followed this to change mine to mph...
Nothing to lose trying it & good luck
Hi WolfmanMick. Thanks for that!
I think I saw that vid on YouTube. If it’s the same one (and I’ll have to watch it all to check) there were a load of comments on it saying the bit that makes the Speedo “available” was not shown. It seems the company have put a link in the video description which shows you how to do it, but it needs coding to put the option in the MFD selection options. I’m a newbie though so could very well be ME talking out of their rear end!! I’m gonna go and check my options on the van!

Back