A Bad batch of engines

Mud Digger

Retired Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning All @VinylArchie lets put this up on front page the guys might throw some light on it or @BognorMotors might of heard something or it might make a talking point The new engine should be fine installed by VW

i Quote **The engine failed at 45k and was replaced by VW under warranty. The means the new block has only done 23000 Miles.*** , The failure was down to a bad batch engines not misuse. , from Autotrader

This is a Van Archie is looking at in Auto trader is there any new on this bad Batch ... now that im out of Warranty

I'd like to see a link to the full Autotrader article so that we can see a little more context.

It does happen. When I worked at Rover Group (back in the day), there was a batch of K-Series engines early in the production run, that had porous blocks.
Rover just replaced the engines.

Pete

It's an Eu6 150 engine.
Maybe the cambelt failed? If they replaced the engine it was obviously a serious / catastrophic failure of some description.

It's an Eu6 150 engine.
Maybe the cambelt failed? If they replaced the engine it was obviously a serious / catastrophic failure of some description.

might of been but within the 4 years. i agree would d of been bad for a new engine

but down to a bad batch could be one of the the dodgy timing belts Vans

i got my van booked in for the 5th october for belts and pump i hit the 4 year date @ 18500 miles ouch

Thanks for taking an interest in this guys. I’m potentially looking to go and have a closer look at this van. It’s a 4hr drive so some opinions befor I commit are really appreciated. What do people think of the price? As mentioned if it a VW warranty job I’m not too worried about the engine having been replaced.

@VinylArchie Dont take the HP company on that site its over 10% interest ( 30 to borrow 20 over 4 years ) dealers off a better deal that that so shop around before signing anything

The warranty document and VW history should be with the van and show the reason it was replaced by VW.
Perhaps more importantly it should show if there is any remaining warranty on the new engine.

Last edited:
@VinylArchie Dont take the HP company on that site its over 10% interest ( 30 to borrow 20 over 4 years ) dealers off a better deal that that so shop around before signing anything
I have already got a loan after coming very close to buying a ready made camper. I’m glad I didn’t as I think I can build a much better one myself, but it isn’t going to save me any money that’s for sure!

I have already got a loan after coming very close to buying a ready made camper. I’m glad I didn’t as I think I can build a much better one myself, but it isn’t going to save me any money that’s for sure!
it will save you a fortune doing it your self although you might not notice lol ..... you just loose some time but gain a nice hobby it's very rewarding and you know u did't skimp on anything

it will save you a fortune doing it your self although you might not notice lol ..... you just loose some time but gain a nice hobby it's very rewarding and you know u did't skimp on anything
Well my original plan was to buy a new conversion, had sportline kit, 20s but in reality had cheap pop top and was originally 100ps startline for 32k. Now I’m looking at skyline roofs and RIB beds so if I’m lucky I might just about be able to do the bed and roof before needing more funds.

Just had a chat with the chap, he said it suffered from a coolant leak quite early on. Said VW were a bit cagey at first but agreed to replace the water pump. This didn’t resolve the situation and the eventually said there was an issue with the block and replaced the engine. Although they didn’t want to admit to it one of the mechanics apparently said they had a number of vans of the same age and mark with the same issue.

Just had a chat with the chap, he said it suffered from a coolant leak quite early on. Said VW were a bit cagey at first but agreed to replace the water pump. This didn’t resolve the situation and the eventually said there was an issue with the block and replaced the engine. Although they didn’t want to admit to it one of the mechanics apparently said they had a number of vans of the same age and mark with the same issue.

thanks for letting us know the outcome @VinylArchie

Back