Cam Belt Re-call

Discussion in 'General VW T6 Chat' started by toonaroon, 7 Jan 2020.

1. toonaroon

toonaroon Senior Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Having had my 2017 t32 150ps kombi in for a re call last week, I was told that the cam belt that is fitted is OK, THIS BELT IS A DAYCO BELT, the other one which apparently is at fault I do not know, they were a bit reluctant to tell me!!!

It was only by chance that I phoned them and they told me about the re call ????

Please phone your dealer if you are concerned

Hope this may be of some use...

Robert likes this.
  2. Dilbert

Dilbert Just travelling... VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
  3. toonaroon

Interesting read @Dilbert, according to them there are only two types, so must be the Gates at fault!!
    Will also be checking mine for engine under tray (when it stops raining).

4. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    I was going to check mine but the cover seems reluctant to come off, anyone got any tips or tried this?

cam-belt-guard.png

mmi and Dilbert like this.
  5. toonaroon

Fingers crossed @Loz it's a dayco, as per usual they just would not be specific about what the problem was! I was not sweating to much having only done 13k but warranty is up in March causing me yet another quandary...(extended not taken out when purchased)

6. Dilbert

Map
    If it is a Gates problem, I guess it is a specific batch affecting certain engines/VINs. Gates are normally a very good brand of belts.

7. toonaroon

Sorry I could not get more information from them, I did ask what the problem was and just got the answer "if it's the at fault one we will have to book you in for a belt change" so I was just relieved when they said mine was OK, there was no mention of VINs or certain engines. I'd be interested to find out myself..

8. Loz

Map
    Success, you need to pull up on the protruding knob on the side whilst you use a flat screwdriver to release each clip and then it pulls up.
    I cannot see any markings on the belt to identify it. I took a slow-mo video whilst running so I'll review that to see if I can see it.
    ED5D5988-5119-4CE6-9F7B-DCCE3BA21B2C.jpeg

Robert, mmi and Dilbert like this.
  9. toonaroon

It looks in pretty good condition Loz.

10. Skyliner33

Skyliner33 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

I'm due to have a new cam belt fitted later this week. Do I need to check which cam belt is being fitted about that its OEM VW?

11. toonaroon

I have now sent a email to the dealers, asking if they can be more specific about this re call, watch this space...

Robert and Skyliner33 like this.
  12. toonaroon

Update, this is the reply I had back today. 11/01/2020

Hi Anthony,

Sorry has been so busy here!

I believe there are certain VINs that are affected although we are unable to tell from our end.

If they do have any concerns they should call their dealer with their reg or chassis and they will be able to tell them if the recall applies to their vehicle.

Hope this helps...

13. killisickconversions

killisickconversions Dub Buyer VIP Member

Map
    Just took a look at mine, it's a Contitech. Booked in for next week, will see what they say about that one.

14. toonaroon

Would be interested to know, considering they told me there were only two types fitted ??

15. killisickconversions

killisickconversions Dub Buyer VIP Member

Map
    Apparently contitech isn't affected. Will pull the cover off tomorrow to double check as they had the van quite some time.

toonaroon likes this.
  16. $immo

$immo Built not Bought VIP Member T6 Guru

I have just dropped mine in for a service, the guys at SMG Tonbridge confirmed it's a Gates Timing belt. He even showed me the recall which stated a Gates Toothed Cam Belt.
    Not sure if mine has it, guess I find out when I pick it up :thumbsup:

toonaroon likes this.
  17. Loz

Map
    I pulled the cover of mine, had a look, but any writing that was on it has gone now. So none the wiser.

18. Dilbert

Map
    What is your model year and engine type? Would be a useful reference.

19. $immo

It's not confirmed I have a Gates belt yet, I will post when I collect it along with engine and build etc. :thumbsup:

20. $immo

Just had the call, mine did have a Gates cam belt so it's being changed as part of the recall.

Mine is a 150hp manual Kombi Highline Reg Jan 2017. If that assists anyone. :thumbsup:

toonaroon and Dilbert like this.