Is your van 4motion or fwd?

• 4motion

Votes: 51 45.1%
  • FWD

Votes: 62 54.9%

• Total voters

Caravellet6

T6 Legend
Thought it would be good to see the split between 4wd and 2wd, looks like 4motion is a fairly popular option.

I find a good set of winter tyres gets me through. That said, if I was sliding around a campsite in a camper I'd go for 4WD.

I considered 4Motion but our converter advised that this would restrict the options for fresh and waste water storage and mean we would have to go with something much smaller than the underslung, 68litre fresh water tank they like to fit and, possibly, have it installed inside the van which would take up valuable storage space. Hoping that I have more need for 68litres of water when camping than 4 wheel drive :)

We easily get through 5-10litres a day tent camping but figured with hot and cold water on tap we will use a lot more.

Never had a 4wd van before, but there have been many times I wish I had. Got the rear axel diff lock as well, but I honestly think it is probably unnecessary for the muddy fields we need to traverse. Still, can't retrofit fit it, so I didn't want to take the risk. The clever edl (electronic diff lock) on the latest bosch esp algorithm should sort all the cross axel problems out; but the T5 4motion reviews thought it was worth while; although the bosch esp software has been updated a time or two since then.:)

Last edited:
2wd will always have less power loss than a 4wd.

Despite 4wd traction advantages I'd Allways have a 2wd vehicle for my needs.

Coming backup north this week we found the 4motion really useful on slippery roundabouts gets the power down so early, makes it easy to power out and accelerate without any fuss....

I went for 2wd but do find myself wondering if I should have gone 4motion. That said I've never got my 2wd stuck dispite some very muddy situations.

Coming backup north this week we found the 4motion really useful on slippery roundabouts gets the power down so early, makes it easy to power out and accelerate without any fuss....

I've got to say it is grim up t'north. I've often worried about getting up t'hill without 4WD. The snows will be coming soon, and the mountain pass to Ilkley will be shut for winter, I won't be able to get to Booths for my olives.

I've got to say it is grim up t'north. I've often worried about getting up t'hill without 4WD. The snows will be coming soon, and the mountain pass to Ilkley will be shut for winter, I won't be able to get to Booths for my olives.
I thought Booths only sold black pudding - didn’t know they did olives as well - I’ll ‘ave to get me Landy out and go ‘ave a looksee.

Best bring the Landy, the T6's are no use round these parts past November. And once the sun goes mid October you can see anyway unless you have LEDs. You're not allowed past Doncaster if you've not got 4motion. It's a good job they got rid of all those roundabouts on the A1, I just couldn't get the power down in my 2WD. Anyway, off t'put winters on and eat some more carrots. I'll be reet. Be seeing ye.

This is one of those questions where if you need to ask about it, you don't need it! But even if you don't need it, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it. People justify ownership of a 4motion on factors like camping in boggy fields or having to drive on country roads that the council doesn't grit. Putting those aside, the extra traction and stability in normal conditions provided by all four wheels being powered is something that often does not get considered.

As I live above Doncaster, you can't buy a 2wd T6 anyway so it makes that decision really easy.......if the T6 4Motion gets stuck, I have a Yeti 4x4. If that gets stuck, it's time to put on the winter coat and fit ear plugs as I'm using the Series 2 Land Rover.

Anyone know if the front tyre wear is reduced on the 4motion?

Hearing the fronts don’t last all that well on the 204’s fwd.

Back