T6.1 Retrofit rear diff to 4Motion

chris ratay

World Traveler: 2023 T6.1 Ocean 204 w diff lock
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Planning to purchase our next overland vehicle for global travel, and looking to buy a newer T6.1 Ocean 4-motion, European (LHD) version. I'd like to get the locking rear Diff, but need the van in the next few months, so don't have time to wait for a custom order. Assuming I won't be able to find a nearly-new Ocean for sale with a rear Diff lock in Europe, I would like to learn about adding it to an existing vehicle.

1) What does it take to add a locking rear Diff to a T6.1 4-motion?
2) Are the parts easy to come by these days?
3) Any idea what cost of parts and installation would be in Europe?
4) Anyone done this and have hints as to potential issues?
5) What is the code for locking rear diff if searching for used vans?

I live in Hungary, and will travel to Austria/Germany to purchase the van. Hopefully I can find a shop in one of these places to do the installation, properly.

Any help in resolving would be appreciated.

(photo to illustrate previous overland trips)

2022 map black RTW routes.jpg

Last edited:
Update - figured out I needed to buy one that's had 1Y4 locking rear diff already installed. Adding afterwards it's a bit of a mission.

Locking Diff Button.jpg

Update - figured out I needed to buy one that's had 1Y4 locking rear diff already installed. Adding afterwards it's a bit of a mission.

View attachment 181775
Did you ever find out what would be the complexity of adding one in?
I wonder if it would be "just" changing the rear diff, wiring + coding or of there are a lot of auxiliary parts to consider.

Did you ever find out what would be the complexity of adding one in?
I wonder if it would be "just" changing the rear diff, wiring + coding or of there are a lot of auxiliary parts to consider.
I ended up buying new, and made sure it had locking diff and tow hitch - faster/easier if fitted from the factory, which was important to me as I shipped my van to South America last week.

We took an off-road class with Seikel/Experience back in May - the instructor said to avoid using the diff lock to get To places, and save it for getting back out. This is similar to on my old Defender (full time 4x4)- save the center diff to get out

We did use the lock for climbing up some steep gravel tracks with deep holes and big rocks, to keep the momentum going.

In general, best to think of it as a self recovery tool.

Back