275/40 or 245/45 on 20's

So im going to have the staggered look. 9j front 10.5j rear on a t32. Have been told to run 265/40/20 all round. Could i run 275/40/20 just on the rear to protect the rim a bit more or will i get rubbing on the rear? Lowered on eibach coilovers but not slammed.
Would like to see the pic when your done

I have 275/40's on 20" rims.
Suspension is stock so she sits a little higher which I quite like as it's a bit different from the trend for slamming.
Ride is good & no rubbing issues.
My sat nav compared to speedo confirms slightly higher gearing with the bigger than o/e rolling radius so lower revs per mph.

Hi all, I too have been recommended to go for 275/35/20 for my set up. I've got 4 original Range Rover 'style 511' ET53 8.5J alloys which are the dog-leg double 5- spokers. I bought them 2 years ago while they were available as I knew I'd get a van at some stage :thumbsup: The reasoning / theory I was given was the 275 width is to maintain some tyre wall protection of the rim. I asked about 245's but the 245's wouldn't be physically wide enough to match a 9'' rim (although mine are 8.5J). As such you would get tyre 'pull out' at the rim and I personally would avoid that look from an aesthetics point of view. The 35 profile as already stated is the rolling circumference to maintain a reasonable speedo reading.

Now I'm not trying to teach you guys to suck eggs as we all have our own ideas and choices of what we like - This is also my own learning curve. That said, you do see some vans which have been severely over-wheeled and /or over tyre'd and they really stick out (no pun intended). I see this thread is over 2 yrs old and it seemed daft to start another of the same theme.

I haven't had my wheels shod yet as 1) not sure which tyre make to go for and 2) not had chance to try them on the van with the spigot rings etc to make sure they fit nicely against the hubs and callipers and 3) I'm thinking of fitting H&R 40mm coils first with the original suspension as my van is only a year old. I've never seen a van with RR style 511's on but I'm hoping they'll look nice.

So all this dribble is a lead up to ask you guys to show us some nice wheel arch shots tagged with the wheel name, diameter and tyre / size info. :)

These? Mine after 40mm lower on H&R plus ARBs

36463153-D21B-4C2E-9886-BE93A4C26434.jpeg

I run 245 45s on the front and 275 40s on the back and still keep kerbing expensive alloys!.
Going 18" Banded steels to get a few more sidewall options.
35s look great but as soon as i nerf an alloy, i dont want to clean the van again!!.

This is my plan too.

Front 8.5 x 20 ET35 with 245/45 103's
Rear 10 x 20 ET40 with 275/40 106 (i think they are anyway - at least 103 anyway)

It gives a little greater diameter of 40mm over standard, and 30mm over the 275/35 (so ~15mm extra side wall comfort) and the speedo is out by 5% or so, but your speedo is over reading anyway, so this just gets it a bit closer to actual.
I'm not planning on dragging its arse on the ground either, so shouldn't be an issue.
I also don't like the tyre overhang of too wide a tyre on the front rim. Also steering gets more vague the bigger the overhang.

I'm thinking Nankang AS-2+ as these are available in the correct load ratings, and lets face it, these are not race cars...
Any other tyre manufacturers to consider that meet these specs?
Thanks

This is my plan too.

Rear 10 x 20 ET40 with 275/40 106 (i think they are anyway - at least 103 anyway)

It gives a little greater diameter of 40mm over standard, and 30mm over the 275/35 (so ~15mm extra side wall comfort) and the speedo is out by 5% or so, but your speedo is over reading anyway, so this just gets it a bit closer to actual.
I'm not planning on dragging its arse on the ground either, so shouldn't be an issue.
I also don't like the tyre overhang of too wide a tyre on the front rim. Also steering gets more vague the bigger the overhang.

I'm thinking Nankang AS-2+ as these are available in the correct load ratings, and lets face it, these are not race cars...
Thanks
You can get Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 in both of those sizes. They are a fair bit more expensive than the Nankangs, but a quieter tyre so if you've got the budget I would consider them.

The speedo will be reading slightly under with your chosen tyres, you'll be doing say 71 or 72 when reading 70, but it's close enough not to be a problem really.

Tyre dilemma for 20-inch alloys

Currently running OEM suspension on a T30 Kombi

275/40/20 seems to be the go to tyre for 20-inch alloys on the Transporter

If I drop the suspension 40 or 50mm I may (or may not) get some tyre rubbing with the 275/40

If I go for 245/45 I'll probably avoid any possible rubbing. But with the narrower 245 will I still get a similar level of ally wheel protection and ride comfort of the 275/40...?

Suitable load rated tyres are available in both 275/40 and 245/45

Decisions, decisions...any thoughts or personal experience?
Hi, i just put 245 45 20s on Range Rover Sport/Vogue rims on T28 and must admit the ride now is much better than the original alloys which was Michelin's 215 60 16's... Its smoother, steering more responsive its like a different vehicle.... Running 46psi, will lower it in the next week or so to finish it off....

5s.jpg

This is my plan too.

Thanks
Hi you can get a 245/40/20 103 nanyang which is what I use on van have used the 45profile which were a lot better than the 35profile as I bent both the front wheels

I've just changed my front tyres to 255/45/20 from 275/40/20 the rears are still 275s, it has made a difference to the steering it feels better but time will tell

Lowered now on Stance pro coilovers about 80mm all round and surprised how it handles now, drives more like a car, and still pleased on how comfortable it is

IMG_E2380.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

Back