275/40 or 245/45 on 20's

@BognorMotors 275/35 is the correct size...? Correct in what terms? I appreciate the 35 profile will be closer to the original circumference hence less speedo/gearing concerns. Anything else?

You said it. Its the perfect replacement, size wise, for the standard size wheels/tyres. There is nothing more to say than that.

The vast majority of contributors have lowered vans, but has anyone raised their's?......that's the way I intend to go. I like the raised look, although there are some stunning lowered creations on this forum. I actually squared off both my nearside alloys in one pothole/crater so I'd fear for delicate rims in my area.

Ok, that's great. Just want to make sure I'm fully informed in terms of info for a tyre choice/decision. Thanks!

You said it. Its the perfect replacement, size wise, for the standard size wheels/tyres. There is nothing more to say than that.
Hi. Can you send some pics of your van please. Do you have the full ABT kit? I have the ABT ordered ready to go on my new grey t6. Wheels are really important to me and I didn't know what size and design to go for

Hi. Can you send some pics of your van please. Do you have the full ABT kit? I have the ABT ordered ready to go on my new grey t6. Wheels are really important to me and I didn't know what size and design to go for

There are pics on our Facebook gallery

Looks like my raised van will stand out somewhat, then......that's good

Tyre dilemma for 20-inch alloys

Currently running OEM suspension on a T30 Kombi

275/40/20 seems to be the go to tyre for 20-inch alloys on the Transporter

If I drop the suspension 40 or 50mm I may (or may not) get some tyre rubbing with the 275/40

If I go for 245/45 I'll probably avoid any possible rubbing. But with the narrower 245 will I still get a similar level of ally wheel protection and ride comfort of the 275/40...?

Suitable load rated tyres are available in both 275/40 and 245/45

Decisions, decisions...any thoughts or personal experience?
I've just fitted 275/40/20's on my T6 no noticeable change in ride noise or anything APART FROM MY MPG HAS DROPPED OFF THE WORLD!!!!!
gone from 50+mpg to low 30's
The arch gap ain't bad although maybe a 30mm drop would look great - but as is stands im more than happy with everything - just not sure I can cope with the fuel issues
Going to try a 195/55/20 Continental ECO and see if I can get back to old mpg - jay

when i bought my van it had 275/40s on. There's a rub on full lock but nothing to write home on. A comfy ride on the road.

With your pot hole issue, you can claim back off the local council if you report it. i did when i hit one in my car.

Neither. 275/35/20 is the actual proper size you should run. It's what I run.
Or 255/40 maybe.
Absolutely spot on this is the nearest roiling radius..... and that’s what you need .....end of .......like for like.... also they look right not too big like some look

9F32B21C-C579-4501-9277-FAB447D2DB4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to add a little more weight to this - VW are just about to start offering a 20” wheel from their accessory range. The wheels are rated to T32 but they will only offer it up to T30 with the tyre size 275/35 as the correct size.

I had 275/35 on my 20s on my T5.1, and found the ride harsh, especially over potholes. Moving to 275/40s improved things significantly. For my van, the Speedo went from under-reading, to being spot on. There was a bit of heat work needed on the arches though, but otherwise I'd recommend 275/40s on UK roads.

I had 275/35 on my 20s on my T5.1, and found the ride harsh, especially over potholes. Moving to 275/40s improved things significantly. For my van, the Speedo went from under-reading, to being spot on. There was a bit of heat work needed on the arches though, but otherwise I'd recommend 275/40s on UK roads.
Strange that with your speedo as the 35s are the nearest to the rolling radius to the standard size wheels & tyres

Strange that with your speedo as the 35s are the nearest to the rolling radius to the standard size wheels & tyres
Agree. My current T6 is the same, it under-read Vs the Speedo on the standard 17s, now reading accurately, checked against rolling GPS. Weird but true.

Back