275/40 or 245/45 on 20's

I’m having a nightmare trying to decide what wheels and tyres to go for.

So I really want a staggered set up but not keen on running the same tyre size on both 8.5j and 10j (some tyre suppliers are saying that 275 are too wide for 8.5j). I know I can achieve the “equal” look by going 245/45 fronts and 275/40 rears though I personally prefer the look of the 275/35 on a 10j but the nightmare starts trying to get the correct load rating for something smaller for the 8.5j.

What’s everyone’s thoughts...

275/35/20 all round on the staggered set up and get over the difference on the look

245/45 and 275/40 and have the extra protection with the increased tyre walls. Will I have an issue on full locks still with the 245/45 and will I be limited to what I can do in terms of lowering?

Or finally, scrap the staggered idea and go 8.5j all round and have the 275/35/20 tyres?!

275/35 will go on those rims, although not the perfect size - We've fitted a few sets. Or if you want the perfect width go for a 265/40 and you'll get a bit more comfort from the extra sidewall

275/35 will go on those rims, although not the perfect size - We've fitted a few sets. Or if you want the perfect width go for a 265/40 and you'll get a bit more comfort from the extra sidewall
Hello I have a set of valare 10 rear and 8.5 fronts and I have 275/40/20 all round and I find the fronts and to wide and look funny
Needing 2 new front tyres now is 255/40/20 on the front ok
or should I go for 265/40/20 and keep 275/40/20

what are the thoughts to having 245/45 which in theory should achieve a balanced look paired with 275/40

But why fit the 275/40. When you can fit the 275/35 tyre which is the correct size. I rather have matching tyres front and rear.

But why fit the 275/40. When you can fit the 275/35 tyre which is the correct size. I rather have matching tyres front and rear.
I find the 275/40 look to big on the 8.5
I am on B14 and it’s not low low but its rubbing on the bolt inside at the top of the wheel arch
I am new to all this it’s my first Vw have I done it wrong

I find the 275/40 look to big on the 8.5
I am on B14 and it’s not low low but its rubbing on the bolt inside at the top of the wheel arch
I am new to all this it’s my first Vw have I done it wrong

It wont rub with a 275/35. 275/40 are oversize

I like the idea of 275/35/20...just not the same tyres all round for a staggered set up.

Think I’m moving towards knocking the staggered idea on the head and just going 8.5j all round instead!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Think i am right but if i am not someone please put me right
You can still have the staggered look and have 275/35/20 all round that’s what I am now going for 10 rear 8.5 fronts

You can still have the staggered look and have 275/35/20 all round that’s what I am now going for 10 rear 8.5 fronts

You can but I don’t fancy the tyres looking different at the front and rear. Maybe I’ve been so used to having factory staggered set ups and therefore find it hard to accept having the same size tyres on different width wheels...especially when they’re 1.5j different!

If you want to go for a staggered look ,you don't have to have 8.5" wheels on the front ! 9" or 9.5" are options as well .
I have run 9" x 20" with 265/40 tyres and currently running 9.5" x 20" with 275/35 tyres both are spot on and you can alternate front to rear to spread the wear evenly. :)

Some will disagree with me, but having tried numerous setups, I've settled on the same tyres all round, and spacers out the rears. Easier to have the same 4 tyres in my opinion, little point in wide tyres at the rear, more drag, road noise, and lower mpg....
I'm on 275/40 Fulda Sport controls. They're the max approved width for the Bola B22, but the slight extra width has saved the alloy a few times! There's no arch rub either at full lock, I'm lowered modestly on B14s currently. for lower profile tyres, they do handle better, but you have to dodge potholes, and the ride was generally worse all around.
So, having tried the different setups, if handling and cosmetic look are your thing, go staggered and low profile, but if it's practicality, ride quality, and cost control, go bigger profile and four the same.
The Fuldas had the best tyre ratings I could find in load rated 20s, and they're 23k miles in and plenty left (I do mainly motorways).
Good luck anyway!
Hi
I agree with your tyre choice
I have the same 275/40/2o as you
No probs with potholes/ parking close to kerbs , -40 h and r springs, but want swap for coil overs to go lower

Some will disagree with me, but having tried numerous setups, I've settled on the same tyres all round, and spacers out the rears. Easier to have the same 4 tyres in my opinion, little point in wide tyres at the rear, more drag, road noise, and lower mpg....
I'm on 275/40 Fulda Sport controls. They're the max approved width for the Bola B22, but the slight extra width has saved the alloy a few times! There's no arch rub either at full lock, I'm lowered modestly on B14s currently. for lower profile tyres, they do handle better, but you have to dodge potholes, and the ride was generally worse all around.
So, having tried the different setups, if handling and cosmetic look are your thing, go staggered and low profile, but if it's practicality, ride quality, and cost control, go bigger profile and four the same.
The Fuldas had the best tyre ratings I could find in load rated 20s, and they're 23k miles in and plenty left (I do mainly motorways).
Good luck anyway!

Hi mate i have never seen a clear answer to the tyre rubbing on the inner arch issue. Some said this is a problem some said it's fine. So therefore is this only a problem if you lower the springs to low? I've just got some 275/40 / 20's but not fitted them yet. Will eventually lower springs but that will be once saved some pennies.

I have a LWB t5.1 conversion on B14s with 275/40r20s and I get rubbing, not loads but a bit and like others it’s that screw in the arch.

I am thinking of swapping the fronts only to 275/35r20 and leaving the back - probably a trip to you @BognorMotors for heat gun and chat. Is anyone running this set up or have any other experiences with a LWB. If I had a SWB I would go for 275/35r20 all round but do think the LWB carries the larger tyre better especially at the rear.

I was considering a staggered set up (still am) but came across a set of 20” 8.5j runs for cheap that I could use as winter type rims.

Scratched my head over tyres size but have. Ow opted for 255/40/20 as these are a load rating of 101 as well. There is a 245/40/20 tyre available with a 103 rating but only Nankang make this tyre and I really wanted a different brand so opted for the other size and went for Goodyear

I have a LWB t5.1 conversion on B14s with 275/40r20s and I get rubbing, not loads but a bit and like others it’s that screw in the arch.

I am thinking of swapping the fronts only to 275/35r20 and leaving the back - probably a trip to you @BognorMotors for heat gun and chat. Is anyone running this set up or have any other experiences with a LWB. If I had a SWB I would go for 275/35r20 all round but do think the LWB carries the larger tyre better especially at the rear.

I’d recommend 265/40 all round - Which is nearest to the ideal size for T32

I was considering a staggered set up (still am) but came across a set of 20” 8.5j runs for cheap that I could use as winter type rims.

Scratched my head over tyres size but have. Ow opted for 255/40/20 as these are a load rating of 101 as well. There is a 245/40/20 tyre available with a 103 rating but only Nankang make this tyre and I really wanted a different brand so opted for the other size and went for Goodyear

As above I’d recommend 265/40

So im going to have the staggered look. 9j front 10.5j rear on a t32. Have been told to run 265/40/20 all round. Could i run 275/40/20 just on the rear to protect the rim a bit more or will i get rubbing on the rear? Lowered on eibach coilovers but not slammed.

Back