2018 CXEB 150PS reliability

Mike B

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for advise. I have leased a 2018 T32 4motion Highline from new, engine is a CXEB 150kw. I am considering purchasing the van as the lease is up but slightly worried about the EGR problems mentioned so much. It uses roughly 1 ltr of oil every 5k miles but runs great and has only done 63k miles.
Should I have any worries about EGR failure or turbo problems with this engine, the price they are asking is forecourt price so I'm not getting a bargain.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Good you know the van and it’s driver history as well as it’s mechanical history etc.
If your happy and want the van go for it. I had 2017 t32 204 and always had egr and eml issues (van was used but from VW). I’d go for a t6.1 if I was to change my current t5.1 4mo.
Loads of people don’t have issues. Maybe worth trying get a Warrenty including from VW as a sweetener on the deal to give you peace of mind on any big jobs.
Sounds like a good van mileage etc go for it

Thanks for reply, the leasing company use an agency to sell the van so no option to bargain with them or ask for warranty etc. I just have the fear that the EGR might be one of the problematic ones that eventually causes excessive engine wear. Was thinking of an oil analysis and compression test before buying?

If it's already using oil I would really suggest leaving it, the CXEB is more and more proving to be troublesome and even though VW says that kind of usage is fine it's only going to get worse. In the two years I've had mine I've replaced the EGR, then the turbos went and the DPF still needs replacing too... and on top of that I'm not sure the engine itself is in great condition, mine used oil and that could've caused all of the above.

In hindsight I really wish I'd bought a 150!

Get an oil sample analysis from Millers Oils and I’m sure someone on here will explain the result.
If that’s ok then buy the van and get the egr coded out and blanked off.
If you like the van keep it.

If it's already using oil I would really suggest leaving it, the CXEB is more and more proving to be troublesome and even though VW says that kind of usage is fine it's only going to get worse. In the two years I've had mine I've replaced the EGR, then the turbos went and the DPF still needs replacing too... and on top of that I'm not sure the engine itself is in great condition, mine used oil and that could've caused all of the above.

In hindsight I really wish I'd bought a 150!
Was yours bought from new?

Back