20" Rims for NC500 or not?

Marantz2

Hi all, I'm due to do the NC500 for the first time in a couple of weeks and I hear the roads are bad for pot holes.
I can't decide to keep my 20" Rims on or swap them for standards just for the trip.
I want to keep them on for pictures, looks etc etc. You know what I mean.
But
I don't want them damaged especially before Busfest. (Who else is going?)

So question is, who else has done the NC500 and is it not as bad as they say? Is it suitable for big wheels?

Thanks
Pete

I did (most of) the NC500 in May this year. While the roads in Scotland are generally far better than those we put up with in the UK and potholes are not generally a problem (except on the Isle of Skye at the moment) there will be places on the NC500 where you'll need to move off to let other traffic squeeze past. For example, the B869 from near Lochinver to near Unapool is particularly narrow in places but well worth including.
Personally, I'd probably use standards for this trip.

I went round the nc500 on 20s with no problems also surprisingly was one of few vans that didn’t get stuck on a wet campsite field I just drive straight out passing multiple stranded vans

If you are concerned enough to ask the question take the 20's off. Are you doing the NC500 to enjoy the route and scenery or to take nice photos of your van? I did the route this April in an Audi RS4 running 30 profile on 20's and was constantly on the lookout for potholes. Fortunately the roads were very quiet and Scotland was the warmest place in the UK when I was there which was weird as the week before the Applecross pass was still closed because of snow! There are quite a few nadgery roads on route, especially if you go a bit "off piste" too where they are very narrow single track with a significant drop off either side which would almost certainly damage a wheel if you veered to one side. I hope you get good weather as its a stunning place. :thumbsup:

See attached photo.....I met these 1930's Amilcars on Applecross, they're probably on 20's or even larger :laugh:

P1060754.JPG

@Marantz2 Did you do the NC? On big wheels? We did last year in a rented van with 20's on! Got clubbed by the owner tho for wrecking 2 of his rim protectors, one in an Asda petrol station before we had set off and another skimming a roundabout on the way back, no problems apart from that on 20's. Pleased to say wifey was driving for the second event! Fabulous time we had! Folks have just got to do it if they haven't already, we want to do it again, lingering more on the West Coast this time, Scotland is truly stunning.

I did NC500 most a couple of years ago but in my lotus which has 19 and 20 wheels
I was a little anxious about state of roads but on the end with help of decent weather it was relatively pot hole free.
I managed to see any potential pot holes and avoided them it was in the corners where if approaching at a decent rate of knots you had to take avoidance actions very quickly to miss any holes !
I was more concerned about stone damage to windscreen and body work then alloy damage

I did bump into a chap at petrol station in a new swanky motor home who asked to swap with me in my lotus ! Lol

I did NC500 most a couple of years ago but in my lotus which has 19 and 20 wheels
I was a little anxious about state of roads but on the end with help of decent weather it was relatively pot hole free.
I managed to see any potential pot holes and avoided them it was in the corners where if approaching at a decent rate of knots you had to take avoidance actions very quickly to miss any holes !
I was more concerned about stone damage to windscreen and body work then alloy damage

I did bump into a chap at petrol station in a new swanky motor home who asked to swap with me in my lotus ! Lol
Come on, you know we like pictures!! Show us yer Lotus!

I’ve not long completed the NC500 and full tour of Skye on 20’s. I did over 1000 miles all around Scotland with no problems at all.
Even did the mad road from Plockton to Applecross. That was an experience. 78A4A477-3A41-45F7-BBCA-6DDCA3891B43.jpeg

Back