20” different tyre sizes front and rear.

JonriceT6

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My front tyres need replacing and I’m wanting to change the profile.
Currently they are 275/35.
Question is , am
I able to change to 245/45 or 255/45 on the front and keep the backs 275/35 until they need replacing.?
This may be a silly question but I’m clueless

My front tyres need replacing and I’m wanting to change the profile.
Currently they are 275/35.
Question is , am
I able to change to 245/45 or 255/45 on the front and keep the backs 275/35 until they need replacing.?
This may be a silly question but I’m clueless
Why not…. as long as you consider the load rating and the fact that you’ll change the diameter and circumference with your new tyre choice?

Check out this website….

Thanks, but there won’t be any issues driving around with two different size tyres ?

There would be an issue with different sizes across an axle.

Is your van 4motion?

My van isn’t 4motion :
the front will have 255/45/20 and the rear will have 275/35/20
If I decided to change just my from tyres

It will be fine. Only becomes an issue if it's on the same axle, or if you had a 4-motion.

A 245/45/20 would be more suitable though.

I've not looked at a size comparison calculator, but there can be issues on 2 wheel drive vehicles if the front ot rear difference is too great. For example, if the front wheels are too much smaller, they will rotate much faster than the rears. The ESP will assume the fronts are struggling for traction and apply the brakes accordingly.

Thanks everyone.
So for the front , which is more suitable :
45 or 40 profile?
Think someone previously mentioned
245/45/20 are best?

Based on your current size of 275-35-20...

245-45-20 are nearly 4% larger
245-40-20 are just 0.5% larger

4% difference may be enough for the ESP to think front wheels are rotating too much slower than the rears. If the rears are rotating too quickly compared to the fronts, it might think that you are on the brink of an accident, therefore keep brushing the rear brakes. This will have an effect on brake wear as well as fuel consumption.

Based on your current size of 275-35-20...

245-45-20 are nearly 4% larger
245-40-20 are just 0.5% larger

4% difference may be enough for the ESP to think front wheels are rotating too much slower than the rears. If the rears are rotating too quickly compared to the fronts, it might think that you are on the brink of an accident, therefore keep brushing the rear brakes. This will have an effect on brake wear as well as fuel consumption.
No, it will be fine. You just have to reset the tyre pressure monitor and it will learn the new wheel circumference.

Thanks everyone.
So for the front , which is more suitable :
45 or 40 profile?
Think someone previously mentioned
245/45/20 are best?
Is it a T32? The tyre load rating needs to be a minimum of 103 if it is.

The best sizes for T32 and either 245/45/20 or 265/40/20.

Lot’s of people fit 275/40/20, but can cause rubbing on the front. They should only really be used if you have really wide staggered wheels on the back.

I’m not sure on the optimum size for T28/T30, but looking the original post, you were hoping to go to a higher profile anyway.

I’m thinking about just getting all 4 done at same time.
245/45/20 I’m thinking. My alloys are 8-8.5j wide so this tyre size would be suitable right?

Why not…. as long as you consider the load rating and the fact that you’ll change the diameter and circumference with your new tyre choice?

Check out this website….

Don’t forget to get a puncture repair and cigarette lighter compressor. Then ditch your standard sized spare as it’s only extra weight you are carrying around.

My new tyres give a Much better ride, smoother and quieter.
Went with 245/45 in the end .

My new tyres give a Much better ride, smoother and quieter.
Went with 245/45 in the end .
I had that size on my van when I bought it from Salop vans , it drove awful, the gearing and the pull felt awful, if you look at the rolling radius compared to a standard size it’s a mile out .

I had that size on my van when I bought it from Salop vans , it drove awful, the gearing and the pull felt awful, if you look at the rolling radius compared to a standard size it’s a mile out .
I’ve only got a 110bhp… so not much pull to be affected haha.
They seem A lot better by a country mile than my previous.
Sorry my tyres are 255/40

Back