199 vs 204

voltproof

Hi,

looking to buy a caravelle, a local dealer recommends the 199 as it’s a better, newer generation engine and allegedly the 204 can suffer with reliability issues... any of it true? He’s got both a 199 and a 204 DSG vans for sale , roughly same spec and same money.

thank you

I'm almost sure their is little difference - the reduction of 5ps I believe is purely due to additional emissions regulations and I've never heard many reports of reliability issues on the Euro 6 204ps engine. No doubt some of the better informed and more knowledgable folks on here can provide more info as I've only joined the Transporter clan this year .

Hi,

looking to buy a caravelle, a local dealer recommends the 199 as it’s a better, newer generation engine and allegedly the 204 can suffer with reliability issues... any of it true? He’s got both a 199 and a 204 DSG vans for sale , roughly same spec and same money.

thank you
Umm..believe the 199 is essentially the same engine but detuned to meet emissions rules( 204) :)

as above ditto

quick update 199ps relates to the T6.1.....204ps T6 variations

Last edited:
allegedly the 204 can suffer with reliability issues...

Where do these statements come from:confused:

204 owner here and other than the common, cheap, easy to modify and replace EGR flexi-pipes, mine has been fault free for 80k and 3 years. I've also been a member on here for 3 years and frequent this place now and again, and i've never seen any recurring issues with the 204, other than the recurring comment on how good it is.

If it’s a new van (the 204), make sure he’s got the WLTP derogation done for that van, so it can actually be registered. I got messed about by VW for 4 months on that and finally gave up when, after being promised “tomorrow” time and time again, they conceded it would be another 3 months. But I have no idea if this has now been solved

Edit to clarify: applies to 204 only; 199 is WLTP compliant

Last edited:
Hi @Tourershine.
I have a 204 dsg and noted your comment “Other than the common, cheap, easy to modify and replace EGR flexi-pipes” - what is the easy fix for this, have you posted anything in the past on this?

Hi,

Mine is a 69 plate so its a 199 DSG. The power of it still surprises me - in a good way.

CZ.

Hi @Tourershine.
I have a 204 dsg and noted your comment “Other than the common, cheap, easy to modify and replace EGR flexi-pipes” - what is the easy fix for this, have you posted anything in the past on this?

Back