17” Navis Mac AT - strain on running gear?

richwill

Woodentop
T6 Pro
I have a T6.1 T28 110 ps manual gearbox camper conversion which came on 16" alloys with commercial style tyres 205/65 R16C, loving the look of the 17" Navis mac AT wheels with off road style tyres but worried this would put excessive strain on the engine/drive train.

Am I right to be concerned before I spend a small fortune on a wheel/tyre package?

Did you pull the trigger rich? If you did were there any issues?
no, i'm running 17" devonports atm, I follow a youtuber called campervanya who has 17" black rhino alloys with BF Goodrich tyres and says drives like a dream.

no, i'm running 17" devonports atm, I follow a youtuber called campervanya who has 17" black rhino alloys with BF Goodrich tyres and says drives like a dream.
I run those exact Black Rhinos 235/65/17 Falken Wild Peak since November and no issues at all in wet , dry, motorway and a smidge of snow . Same 110bhp manual SWB T6.1

I've recently switched from 225/55/17's to 235/65/17's .
The 225's were actually a smidge smaller than the OEM spec tyres on the original Devonports. I haven't noticed any noticeable change in performance (and therefore strain) in normal driving however, when towing our horsebox it has certainly made a difference.
Mine is only a 140 so I'm not worried about additional strain on a transmission used on the 204 (I think!). I'm seriously considering a remap in light of the towing situation but even this would still be well below the design limits, disregarding any other factors.

I've recently switched from 225/55/17's to 235/65/17's .
The 225's were actually a smidge smaller than the OEM spec tyres on the original Devonports. I haven't noticed any noticeable change in performance (and therefore strain) in normal driving however, when towing our horsebox it has certainly made a difference.
Mine is only a 140 so I'm not worried about additional strain on a transmission used on the 204 (I think!). I'm seriously considering a remap in light of the towing situation but even this would still be well below the design limits, disregarding any other factors.
225/55r17 is the size i am going next with navis mac. as you mentioned you didn't notice change in performance, did you notice mpg drops at all?

Hi.
225/55/17 is a touch smaller than the OEM sizes so the speedo will over read even more than normal.
As for the economy, I can't say I noticed any change. I don't ever compare mileage from tank to tank so wouldn't know exact figures anyway.
It would obviously be revving higher in each gear which would be less strain and require less fuel. However, revving higher is also less efficient! At what point this happens, I do not know.

Back