16” tyre pressures?

Gavin Mac

I have searched the boards... but I may have missed something!

I have a SWB T30 on standard 16'' Alloys - Tyre size is 205/65R16c 107/105T. According to the sticker the tyre pressures are 58 front and 51 rear at the low end and 61 front and back for fully laden. I've got a full camper conversion with the Reimo 333 seat so it's pretty heavy and I figured that the higher pressures would be correct. BUT... the ride is pretty firm (read very firm!) and I was just accepting this till I had a shot of a sportline (so on 18's and lowered?) and it feels really smooth. Is this a tyre pressure issue or is it suspension and wheels? Any info much appreciated.

G

I have the same wheels/tyres on a fully loaded T30 conversion camper and run mine at 60 all round - yes the ride can be a bit firm, especially over the potholes and bumps, but I find the seats compensate quite well. I think a lot of it is to do with the skinny tyres and high pressures being run at. I did have to upgrade my rear suspension to heavy duty springs as when fully laden the back end was too low but this didn't seem to make a lot of difference to ride comfort (other than the fact I was a lot happier that I wasn't pulling wheelies down the road).

Thanks for that! Ours also sits a bit low at the rear. To be honest if I thought it would feel the same as the Sportline I would go for lowering and putting 18's on. I really like that look but can't justify it just for looks alone when I could spend the money going away and using the van!

Thanks for that! Ours also sits a bit low at the rear. To be honest if I thought it would feel the same as the Sportline I would go for lowering and putting 18's on. I really like that look but can't justify it just for looks alone when I could spend the money going away and using the van!
I think that wider tyres, which can be run at much lower pressures for the same loading, would improve the comfort, as would a different suspension set-up but, as you say, its all money that can be spent elsewhere.

I swapped my 205/65r16 wheels and tyres and standard T30 suspension as the ride was brutal when empty.
I put -40mm Cobra springs on with 245/45r19 tyres and wheels running 40psi and the ride is HUGELY better.

Hi. I'm a new owner of a 2016 T6 with 205 / 65 / R16C Hankook tyres.
She had been serviced and MOTd just before I picked her up last week and I've done about 200 miles since then.
I've been happy with the handling and ride after I'd become used to the understeer (my other car is an MX5) but when I checked the tyre pressures yesterday I noticed that at around 42PSI each corner, they were nowhere near the recommendations on the tyre label (around 52 - 61PSI depending on load).
So the question is, what pressures are others using in their 16s?
For completeness, it's a T30, SWB full camper conversion and so far only lightly loaded.
Thanks in advance
Darryl

50 psi all round. Pretty much the same spec and weight as yours.
No uneven wear or issues in 3 years.

Pete

Anyone have a list of the tyre pressures for the T6? I seem to be missing the sticker for some reason and google is more confusing than helpful on the topic. It's a standard 2800kg 4motion van currently on 205/65R16C tyres.

Hi Thor
Look for the 'ball park' figure for those tyres.
I usually run 46-48 psi all round - you can see by the tyre wear if you're over inflated.
Its one of those things man, find what's right for you.
I dont think that there's a written rule, yet another very frustrating things about transporters.
;)

If you run pressures outside the manufactures range you may find yourself in deep sh8t in the event of an accident.
I just checked and it’s not listed in the Owners Manual.

If you run pressures outside the manufactures range you may find yourself in deep sh8t in the event of an accident.

Yeah this is the issue with non stocks - I fitted some beastly tyres recently, absolutely no data online for them.

I read the owners manual last night, it it only referred to the sticker that does not exist on my van. Guess I'll try to stop by the lokal VW dealer and ask when they open again after Easter.
For non-stock tires I usually figure it out myself, but these are the stock size for my van and it annoys me to not know the factory recommended pressures for them.

Here's a photo of the plate on my '17 T28 102 bhp camper van..
I generally run at 58 psi (4 bar) all round on 205/65R16 Hankooks.IMG_20210401_093949.jpg
No evidence of unusual wear.

IMG_20210401_093949.jpg

Don't forget what weight your running will make a big difference to the pressures on the van vs a car :thumbsup:

Don't forget what weight your running will make a big difference to the pressures on the van vs a car :thumbsup:
That’s why the pressures are checked with the wheels loaded on the vehicle, the tyre being compressed and creating pressure.

Thanks folks, I've got it sorted now. Turn's out someone's moved the sticker to the side of the divider just inside the driver side sliding door... It did not occur to me to look there, so I stumbled upon it when i went to move the roof racks :unsure: Spec (in bar) is 4,0/3,5 unloaded and 4,2/4,2 fully loaded.

Back