Yes but it's a Sportline...

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
I've now heard this at least half a dozen times.

The implication that a Sportline is somehow a some exclusive model rocket ship that can barely be handled by a mere mortal - even today by a fellow Coastguard (we trained today); I asked him about his tyre wear (ours is bad) and he said "about 8-10k for front tyres BUT it's a Sportline so eats tyres."

Yes they use the "top" engine but so do countless other VW van spec levels. Plus they only ever do them in FWD. So why do so many people think "Sportline" = "some secret racing model?" It's just a 174/180/204 with some 18s and a bodykit. I suspect the latter items could actually slow them down compared to a light spec Highline or similar and once it's wet, they'll struggle to get "all that power" down anyway.

Mind you it does happen with faux fast BMWs and similar too - "M Sport" is simply some spangly (often heavy) wheels, slight lowering and some bodykit yet some speak of M Sport in almost hushed tones. Yet a 320d M Sport is no faster than a 320d SE - in fact again with heavier wheels/tyres and extra plastic, they are probably fractionally slower...

You're only jealous coz you can't afford a Sportline and that Cali makes you look like an old man :rofl: (only joking :thumbsup:)

I had an M320d as a loan car when some old fella hit my old Jag, what a piece of junk, really cheap trim and the reverse gear wouldn't engage, I was the first driver of that car too, it only had delivery mileage on it, talk about QC!

Ahem it would have been a 320d M Sport.
No such car as an M320d.

When my old 335d SE was in for warranty work I was given a 318d M Sport to use, I felt such a muppet in it; all show, no go. Mine was the opposite.

Nothing old man about liking a wolf in sheeps clothing; awkward preferred them.

Our M135i is a bit visually tarted up but it's subtle and least the M bit means it's fast.

Not sure how a Jaguar owner can call a BMW crap lol

Just having banter Col ha
A brand new car that won't stay in reverse without a loud grinding noise as it jumps out before moving an inch was never on my list of what makes a car good. As for that piece of plastic imitation aluminium across the dashboard on a £30K+ car? No idea what they cost but I would have expected better than that

Having said that I consider our BMW to be a bargain. RRP was £36k but we got it to order for £29.5k.
That's for a well specced, comfortable hatch with a 320bhp straight six Turbo. It has lap times that embarrass cars three times the price and is an absolute hoot to drive while having all the luxuries you need (including a damn quick 8 speed auto box) and it even sounds a bit exotic.

A FWD Golf GTi with 100 less bhp costs more...

That must have been a bad or broken BMW hardly a true representation of 99.9% or maybe you were not pressing the clutch hahaha

I personally find wood on dashboards worse than any Aluminium trim ;)

I drove a 1litre fiat 500 hire car for two days once, Most fun I've ever had in a motor. I'm possibly easily pleased :whistle:

I drove a 1litre fiat 500 hire car for two days once, Most fun I've ever had in a motor. I'm possibly easily pleased :whistle:

Probably a TwinAir which are brilliant fun. Like a mad motorbike in some ways (although not fast).
Doesn't have to be fast to be fun; our 1.3 Jimmy was a hoot to drive off road.

Yes @Polzeylad it was a TwinAir, Great fun. My input has to end here as I've never followed Jeremy Clarkson's passion for speed, Body kits and go faster stripes as I'm much happier sat in a nice comfy captains chair with a brew.

Yes @Polzeylad it was a TwinAir, Great fun. My input has to end here as I've never followed Jeremy Clarkson's passion for speed, Body kits and go faster stripes as I'm much happier sat in a nice comfy captains chair with a brew.
Nor me.
I like quick cars but they must hide it in a plain outfit. Not much show, plenty of go.
Can't stand the other way around.
Cars like the TwinAir are a reminder that you can have loads of fun with just a lively engine and a decent chassis.

I'm possibly old before my time but I much rather a comfy ride than a fast one. other peoples views maybe the opposite and I accept that and wont look down or judge anyone as we all have to get our kicks from somewhere. I struggle to see the attraction from all this 'bling' when the fastest we can legally travel in this country is 70MPH. There are acceptations, Track days, certain roads abroad etc. IMO I don't see the need for the sportline. If you need to get somewhere fast you'd buy a sporty car and not a van.

Ed we all go that way mate. I really do love fast cars and will always get that thrill under heavy acceleration however Im with you now, much rather be comfy and practical.

I do however like the sportline look I just cant afford it ha

I'm only 27, surely I should be down Aldi car park doing wheel spins trying to impress the ladies. I much rather be in bed by 9 or at least sat on the sofa shopping for shiny things for the van.
I cant lie, despite my typically British moaning if I won the lottery I'd buy a sportline simply because I can. Maybe my last few post have simply been misread jealousy

Back