Winter Interior Insulation Covers For Pop Tops

Caulkhead

Builder
T6 Guru
Can anyone recommend any either internal or external insulation covers that they usefor their Pop Top in winter ?

Do you use the pop top for sleeping ?
If no, I find that just pulling it down at night and closing the gap with the mattress that's up there makes the rest of the van nice and cosy..
Also cuts down on a lot of noise...

92F23F44-C8BC-48CB-80E9-51C10AC922C0.jpeg B87238AB-B9AF-43A2-9A85-0DF8863DD016.jpeg
That sounds interesting -got any pictures? or a bit more info how you did it please?
No problem, we cut 3 pieces roughly the shape of the front & sides, making sure they were oversize. Then we pressed the insulation against the sides, pressing it into the top & bottom of the roof, then went around the edge with a sharpie. Cut along the outsides of the line & refit into the roof, tweak the shape & trim to ensure a tight fit. Do the same for the front. Use gaffer tape to make the front corners. You now have a 3 sided shape to fit the sides & front. Use the Wilko sprung loaded curtain poles in the front vertical corners, use a couple of shorter ones along the sides to keep it in place. Make a small piece up for the rear.

Salty Spuds has posted pictures above. We did something similar for the windows for a recent ski trip. Double layered them as only used half a roll. They worked a treat.

33C1BC20-4A92-4144-864F-8E866B687412.jpeg

Salty Spuds has posted pictures above. We did something similar for the windows for a recent ski trip. Double layered them as only used half a roll. They worked a treat.

View attachment 40442
We find it makes a huge difference to heat retention/sound/how hard the Webasto works etc. We’re going to have a go at the MK2 version for next winter, as I cut the originals a tad too small.

View attachment 29140 View attachment 29141
No problem, we cut 3 pieces roughly the shape of the front & sides, making sure they were oversize. Then we pressed the insulation against the sides, pressing it into the top & bottom of the roof, then went around the edge with a sharpie. Cut along the outsides of the line & refit into the roof, tweak the shape & trim to ensure a tight fit. Do the same for the front. Use gaffer tape to make the front corners. You now have a 3 sided shape to fit the sides & front. Use the Wilko sprung loaded curtain poles in the front vertical corners, use a couple of shorter ones along the sides to keep it in place. Make a small piece up for the rear.

Now that is ingenuity right there! Love it. I'm off to Screwfix this morning then...

DIY external cover?

I picked up a SH SWB Rainbow screens pop top cover. I’m going to extend it slightly to fit my LWB as it’s a fairly straight forward job. I reckon it wouldn’t be too difficult to make your own up???
Measure up is straight forward.
Outer canvas Polyester PU Coated Water Resistant Fabric Black Garden Furniture Heavy J09 | eBay and Screwfix sulation inner.
Secured by your own straps 25mm Webbing Rolls Polypropylene 450kg Straps and Lashing Choice of Colour | eBay
No windows though unless you’re up for including them.

Actually off thread and late but hoping not too late to ask how you managed to create the cool map on the bed base in the photos?
I am quite keen to do something similar and have been looking for suitable fabric etc.

Actually off thread and late but hoping not too late to ask how you managed to create the cool map on the bed base in the photos?
I am quite keen to do something similar and have been looking for suitable fabric etc.
It’s a vinyl wrap. We searched for ages on the ‘net trying to find the map of our dreams. We wanted high res. Topographic details along with major roads & towns and shading for the ocean depths. We eventually found a company in Cornwall called Maps in Minutes who would create you any map you wanted. They created the image file (vector) and emailed it to Dirty Weekender who had it printed onto a vinyl wrap.
The image file cost around £240.

Would this work if I made it to wrap around the outside of the poptop similar to a rainbow screen for example ?

Thanks

Back