Windscreen claim

The warranty aspect is an interesting point. I wonder if the arguement would have been equally successful if your van was a bit older but with the All In style warranty...

One to keep in mind having just had a very close call on a 2 and but year old one.
Yeah, I wondered about All-in and extended warranties, but didn't ask as didn't want to muddy the waters. One thing for sure, no warranty, no OEM screen - at least not without a hefty contribution.

Only issue now is that VW screens are on back-order with a lead time of "at least 10 working days"

@Bav How long did it actually take to do the job in the end please?

I think I've mentioned on here already that I’ve got a crack in my T6 windscreen which is getting longer. I used your 'warranty argument' when I reported it and my insurance company subsequently agreed that Auto Windscreens can fit the genuine VW part (heated with light and rain sensors etc.). They (AW) have supposedly ordered the thing but cannot say how long it will take to deliver (and thus fit) as they are on backorder. Not being the trusting sort, I called TPS myself to ask them how long a screen might take to arrive but they were unable to say – all they could tell me was that it had to come from Germany and that it would ordinarily take at least 10 days but they would only be told if there was likely to be any further delay once the order was place. The crack is now almost half way down the screen from the top and will only get worse if I use the van. I suspect that If I got a pull and the copper was in a bad mood, I'd probably get a ticket as even though I can see in front of me very clearly, there's no doubt that the crack could be deemed to obscure the view out. I'm reluctant to use the van except in emergency because of that but am also conscious that the weather is improving and the camping season will be starting quite soon for us so I want the van in good order before then.

For what it's worth, here's a picture - I've drawn the red line parallel to the crack but it's easily visible anyway:
Crack.jpg

@Bav How long did it actually take to do the job in the end please?

I think I've mentioned on here already that I’ve got a crack in my T6 windscreen which is getting longer. I used your 'warranty argument' when I reported it and my insurance company subsequently agreed that Auto Windscreens can fit the genuine VW part (heated with light and rain sensors etc.). They (AW) have supposedly ordered the thing but cannot say how long it will take to deliver (and thus fit) as they are on backorder. Not being the trusting sort, I called TPS myself to ask them how long a screen might take to arrive but they were unable to say – all they could tell me was that it had to come from Germany and that it would ordinarily take at least 10 days but they would only be told if there was likely to be any further delay once the order was place. The crack is now almost half way down the screen from the top and will only get worse if I use the van. I suspect that If I got a pull and the copper was in a bad mood, I'd probably get a ticket as even though I can see in front of me very clearly, there's no doubt that the crack could be deemed to obscure the view out. I'm reluctant to use the van except in emergency because of that but am also conscious that the weather is improving and the camping season will be starting quite soon for us so I want the van in good order before then.

For what it's worth, here's a picture - I've drawn the red line parallel to the crack but it's easily visible anyway:
View attachment 229865
Yikes - that's a big old crack. I was told the screen was on backorder too and it took around 10 days to arrive. The fitting itself took 60-90 minutes including removal of the pop-top wind deflector.

@Bav. Thanks for that - the crack grows by about 1mm with even a light press of the thumb from the inside! I'm kind of hoping that they don't have to remove the wind deflector but fear the worse.

Reactions: Bav
@Bav. Thanks for that - the crack grows by about 1mm with even a light press of the thumb from the inside! I'm kind of hoping that they don't have to remove the wind deflector but fear the worse.
My deflector was stuck to the screen itself (Hilo roof) so no choice in my case.

Back