Wind out awnings

Andyf

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Which one do you reccomend on we’re cheapest place to buy

Tar
Andy :D

I got my Thule Omnistor 5102 from motorcaravanning.co.uk, cheapest I could find.

Last edited:
Hi, Brand new on this forum today. I have a T6 SWB and want to get a wind out awning professionally fitted. I don't want something bolted on the roof bars but want something that sits low and does not have a gap between the roof and the awning that will let rain in. I would appreciate your thoughts/ideas and any idea of what I should be paying. I thought that you could get some that bonded to the van but not sure if that is possible or safe enough. Many thanks

We have a Fiamma F45s which is an excellent bit of kit. I have just installed a Fiamma rain guard kit to fill the gap between the van and awning.

Think they all attach with brackets to rail + van, so always a gap unless filled as @Irvine101 has done (I have the kit. Just need to fit it). Others have reported good results with pipe lagging.

We have a Fiamma F45s which is an excellent bit of kit. I have just installed a Fiamma rain guard kit to fill the gap between the van and awning.

@Irvine101
Which rain guard kit did you get? I'm wanting one to close the small gap from my fiamma f45 to the reimo multirail it's sitting on.

I’ve used the Fiamma stick on rain guard on my Reimo rail / Cali Dometic awning too. All works well together...

I had a Fiamma awning on my T5 and I have a Thule now and have been completely happy with both, don't think there's anything between the 2 big brands. The above Fiamma rain guard fits them both fine too.
IMG_0403.JPG

I used foam pipe insulation, the stuff you buy to insulate central heating pipes.
The split in the length of insulation wraps around the awning bottom corner and it fillS the gap perfectly, is secure and is invisible.
OK a bit of a ‘heath Robinson’ but costs pennies.

I used foam pipe insulation, the stuff you buy to insulate central heating pipes.
The split in the length of insulation wraps around the awning bottom corner and it fillS the gap perfectly, is secure and is invisible.
OK a bit of a ‘heath Robinson’ but costs pennies.

You got any pics.
I'm a little reluctant to spend that much on a rubber strip too.

The 'proper' sponge strip is skinned and wont absorb & hold water like pipe lagging might (dunno, not tried it)

One important point I dont think has been mentioned - if the awning is mounted flush with the roof line, you will need some sort of reminder to NOT use the passenger door whilst its erected... I have a dayglo ribbon which drops down as the awning is unfurled, I thread it through the passenger door handle then tie it to the armrest.
Otherwise no matter how careful you are, one day you will forget and scrape all the paint from the top edge of the door :confused:

The 'proper' sponge strip is skinned and wont absorb & hold water like pipe lagging might (dunno, not tried it)

One important point I dont think has been mentioned - if the awning is mounted flush with the roof line, you will need some sort of reminder to NOT use the passenger door whilst its erected... I have a dayglo ribbon which drops down as the awning is unfurled, I thread it through the passenger door handle then tie it to the armrest.
Otherwise no matter how careful you are, one day you will forget and scrape all the paint from the top edge of the door :confused:
Yup, not much paint left on the top of my passenger door!
usually happens when we have arrived, wound out the awning (Remembering not to open door) had a nice cup of tea/beer and then realise I need to put the external screens on, which as you know, hook over the side doors.

Thanks for all you replies.
Now thinking of a Reimo multi rail which I can attach my drive away awning to. Also want to get the Thule wind out awning. Basically, if I have a wind out Thule awning attached to the Reimo multi rail, can I still use the rail to attach my drive away awning?
Many thanks.

Thanks for all you replies.
Now thinking of a Reimo multi rail which I can attach my drive away awning to. Also want to get the Thule wind out awning. Basically, if I have a wind out Thule awning attached to the Reimo multi rail, can I still use the rail to attach my drive away awning?
Many thanks.
Yes that's exactly what I did for a month or so before I decided drive away awnings weren't for me and sold it. There's a slot in the outside of the awning rail that the kadar (sp?) strip slides into. I now have one of the end panels that I use on occasion and that fits in the same way
IMG_4935.JPG

Back