Will a conversion and re-map void the warranty?

AKG

T6 Pro
Hi all,

If I buy a new van and get a conversion company to change some bits like lowering it with non factory fit springs and also 're-map' the van, will it void the vehicle?

Thanks

Adam

Hi there

Yes if the VW dealer finds out you've remapped the van, they will most likely not honour your drivetrain warranty should you need to make a claim.
However l see no reason why you wouldn't still be covered for other faults such as faulty door locks or a media system issue.

I recently took mine in for an egr issue, not sure whether they knew the van had been mapped or not, but they sorted the issue with no quibbles. I suppose, anything that's been modified, you run the risk of voiding warranty, my warranty is up in September and I was just being impatient. Getting all the essential mods done early, wheels, lower, remap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s hard enough to get VW do honour warranty issues on a standard van, what do you realistically think the chances are on a modified van?

Last edited:
lf you must remap while under warranty, get a removable one such as a tuning box, or preferably the Superchips remap where they supply a handset that plugs into the OBD port and allows you to install/remove the remap yourself.
l don't know if anybody else sells this kind of unit, but l had one for my Transit Connect and it worked very well.

Which engine do you have? l test drove the 150ps and there was no need for any remap on that, it went like a rocket.

Reactions: Ozi
VW can still tell if a tuning box has been fitted previously or the number of times the ecu has been flashed.

My dealer know my bus has a Revo, they honoured my 5 year warranty with a £750 oil leak a few weeks back, but not every dealer is quite so obliging.

It all depends on the dealer. They are turning away work by telling HQ it's been modified.

I've always been up front with the dealers and they have looked after me.

lt may also depend on what the fault is on the vehicle, for instance you'd struggle to claim that a remap had caused an oil leak.

But from people's experience on here it seems that the final decision is down to the dealer.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I have (about 3 weeks ago) given the go ahead to Wessex vans to supply a new T6.1 T32 Highline 150 manual gearbox (as I specifically don't want an auto) PV with their 6R conversion but I have had complete radio silence from them since, and as they haven't requested the deposit yet either, it has not filled me with confidence.
I have been reading this forum which got me thinking, what if something went wrong and VW refused to honour the warranty based on the modifications.
It's a fairly hefty sum to pay out on a new van to maybe not be covered.

I saw Martin at Pendle Performance today posted a video about the very latest T6.1s are now being fitted with a Bosch ECU that he is currently unable to tune. The previous Delph ECU wasn't a problem.

As l said in my previous post, l am not sure the 150ps version really needs remapping? The one l test drove was lacking nothing in performance and pulled very strongly even at higher speeds with no need to even change down except maybe from 6th to 5th

Perhaps the extra weight of a camper conversion warrants a bit more power? l've only tried a standard van unladen.

Reactions: AKG
As l said in my previous post, l am not sure the 150ps version really needs remapping? The one l test drove was lacking nothing in performance and pulled very strongly even at higher speeds with no need to even change down except maybe from 6th to 5th

Perhaps the extra weight of a camper conversion warrants a bit more power? l've only tried a standard van unladen.

I would agree with you. My camper is the 150 with DSG and it can be pretty quick off the mark and very responsive. The weight of the conversion doesn’t seem to hinder the performance. However, I’ve been following Pendle Performance for a while and and they’ve done quite a few new 6.1s I can see that a remap could give a better power delivery across the Rev range and more torque. There is also a remap available for DSG box that apparently gives better gear changes but I’m not prepared to risk my warranty. I’m very happy with the way mine drives.

Hi, In essence, you are modifying the vehicle away from the standard specification so in terms of warranty directly related components are potentially being invalidated. However we know of a number of vehicles which have gone into VW for warranty work and they have not detected or even mentioned the remapping so has not been a problem.

With REVO we can also remove the map prior to warranty work, however VAG dealer tools do still have the ability to detect modified vehicles.

We recommend you read through the terms of your warranty.

All the best,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks once again, really helpfully info and opinions.
I hear what you say 'lightning' that it probably doesn't warrant the remap anyway particularly seeing as its only a PV which will not often carry much at all.
I did until about 18 months ago have a Tornado red T30 58 plate LWB Sportline PV from new which was the 174 and more than punchy enough for my liking. (Regretted that sale instantly!!)
Would the new T32 150 manual perform similarly do you think?

Avoid those cowboys, use Bognor or Van Haven.
Would you mind elaborating a little?
No problem if not.
I like what I see with Bognor motors on here.

We recommend you read through the terms of your warranty.
This is probably the simplest and truest advice I suppose.
Thank you.

Back