Wifi throughout the house and beyond....recommendations please

Interesting.......can you elaborate?

Could I run a 30m ethernet cable to the Shepherds Hut/mancave then put another router on the end creating a separate local network for that area?

Interesting.......can you elaborate?

Could I run a 30m ethernet cable to the Shepherds Hut/mancave then put another router on the end creating a separate local network for that area?
If running a cable is possible and you have a spare port on your Alncom router, that will deliver the best results, its what i would do (and have done!) however you dont really want/need a router on the end of it (leave the one in the house to do all the 'routing'), you just need an access point.

Just to expand on that to clarify in layman's terms - an access point merely broadcasts the internet that is fed to it via a wired connection, a router does a little more, typically assigning IP addresses, perhaps acting as a modem to connect to your incoming internet. Having 2 routers on one network will result in 2 separate network islands which can cause issues if you wanted to share things between them. that said, routers sometimes have the option to act as AP only, so if your reusing old hardware check that out...if not access points are pretty cheap.

Final point, if your running an ethernet cable outside, make sure its in a conduit, the regular stuff is not UV stable, so will degrade over time. you can buy outdoor rated ethernet cable as an alternative, but obviously you have to be careful not to damage it whilst gardening etc..

Just to go against all of that though, as if you only achieving 20mbps from your internet connection and assuming your property is on a single phase supply (or at least are confident both the remote and home locations are on the same phase), you could give a powerline adaptor a go (obv make sure you get the one with a Wi-Fi transmitter at the end, some of the cheaper ones just give your an ethernet port) as they will be able to handle that sort of speed without issue. as has been mentioned however if your mains wiring is a bit of a rats nest, they may or may not work reliably, so buy from somewhere with the option of sending/taking it back if they dont meet your expectations.

Last edited:
Just to continue on from the above babble...i just re-read the earlier posts and noted you mentioned possibly renting out part of the property to visitors, in that instance an additional router wouldn't be a bad idea as it would separate your home network from your visitors, so they cant access your smart devices/printers/network storage, etc. Put them on different ssid's and IP ranges as a minimum.

A significant amount of airbnb's I've stayed in over the years seem to have zero consideration for this, as people are sometimes giving visitors full access to their network...I've wanted to give advise to people on checking out, but then they will assume I've been snooping, so kept quiet!

Another vote for Unifi setup - I have gone overboard at home and run a UDM Pro, 16x PoE Unifi switch and 3x U6 PRO access points.
It is reliable and easy to manage.

I'm wondering of my spare unused BT discs would act as an access point at the end of a run of ethernet cable, sort of dumb (like me), without having to set them up through the BT app......

Our house is quite long and thin and I just purchased a WiFi Mesh v6 system (v7 is coming out soon). Not as good as hard wired but when you are on a slow connection already maybe there is no point with running loads of cables as your speed will be tied to that.

The modern mesh systems all have Guest Access built in so would meet your requirements for holiday guests.

I'm wondering of my spare unused BT discs would act as an access point at the end of a run of ethernet cable, sort of dumb (like me), without having to set them up through the BT app......
Yep, that would work fine. Then you could give your guests the password to the BT disc (access point) and they don’t access printers and other devices connected to your main router. The disc at the end of an Ethernet cable will be much better than connecting wirelessly or even over the plug-in extenders

Yep, that would work fine. Then you could give your guests the password to the BT disc (access point) and they don’t access printers and other devices connected to your main router. The disc at the end of an Ethernet cable will be much better than connecting wirelessly or even over the plug-in extenders
Thanks mate

Back