WiFi Abroad

I just researched this when buying a mobile router / MiFi device for our van. We’re heading to France soon for a couple of weeks.

I went with a BT Mobile SIM - unlimited data, £20 per month. BT Mobile is effectively EE in the UK as they own the network. However BT Mobile still offers free EU roaming on their plans, unlike EE. With a “fair use” cap when roaming of 50GB per month which is decent. In France they use the Orange network. I took out a contract as I’ll use it in the van in the UK too.

Other options I found that still offer free EU roaming are Lebara (uses Vodafone), Tesco Mobile (uses O2) and Smarty (uses 3). Check the “fair usage” policies though - for example, Smarty caps data at 12GB per month when roaming abroad. If I didn’t want to contract I’d have gone with Lebara, they offer decent pay as you go SIMs with plenty of data for free roaming in the EU.

I just researched this when buying a mobile router / MiFi device for our van. We’re heading to France soon for a couple of weeks.

I went with a BT Mobile SIM - unlimited data, £20 per month. BT Mobile is effectively EE in the UK as they own the network. However BT Mobile still offers free EU roaming on their plans, unlike EE. With a “fair use” cap when roaming of 50GB per month which is decent. In France they use the Orange network. I took out a contract as I’ll use it in the van in the UK too.

Other options I found that still offer free EU roaming are Lebara (uses Vodafone), Tesco Mobile (uses O2) and Smarty (uses 3). Check the “fair usage” policies though - for example, Smarty caps data at 12GB per month when roaming abroad. If I didn’t want to contract I’d have gone with Lebara, they offer decent pay as you go SIMs with plenty of data for free roaming in the EU.
I'm using Asda Mobile which uses the Vodafone network. It has a EU roaming fair use policy of 25GB per month and I just get a sim when I’m heading to the continent and just costs £15 for 25GB. 30 day rolling contract so I just choose not to automatically top up at the end of the month.

If people are travelling via the Eurotunnel there is a Free mobile shop in Cite de Europe and some of the sales staff do speak English. The price of a sim card is €10 and you just add the plan that you want. I must STRESS that you only buy a one month contract. Here’s a bit more information.

So my first trip using the Netgear M2 with BT Mobile SIM. Currently visiting family in rural Normandy.

It connected quickly to the Free 4G network and is providing a better, faster signal than either the Wi-Fi in the house (although old farmhouse, thick walls etc) and my mobile (3 SIM currently connected to Orange France)

So far, impressed. Just as well given the investment! Hope it works as well when we head south to the campsite in a few days.

O2 still free roaming to France etc. Got Sim only for 20 plus Vat per month for unlimited everything.

Back